DOA (Direct Oracle Access) versus BDE

Hi,

We are currently evaluating the use of the product DOA (Direct Oracle
Access) from a Dutch company called Allround Automations.
It consists of a set of controls that replace the existing Delphi controls
like Tdataset, TQuery, TStoredProc... with a set of equivalent controls that
directly communicate with the Oracle SQL*Net layer.
Benefits : Faster response times and no more BDE configuration. You just
drop an EXE on the client's PC.

Our first impressions are very positive.
Is there anybody who has an in-depth experience with the product and the
company behind it and who wishes to share his experience ???

Thanks a lot,

Roger Laenen.

Re:DOA (Direct Oracle Access) versus BDE

I will.  I started using this product last July.  I had some initial
problems switching from a BDE mindset to a DOA one but it wasn't that
bad.  I wrote Marco on serveral occasions during those first few weeks
and at worst got an answer 24 hours later.  Often we were e-mailing
every 3 hours or so.  I did find one minor bug early on and reported it
and Marco had a new version out with it fixed within 2 weeks.  Of course
since I had the source I fixed it locally until he released the next
version.

As for performance, it's a no contest.  DOA gives you much greater
control of Oracle than the BDE since it is written directly to the OCI
layer and has no need for abstraction like the BDE does.  I had some
forms that with the BDE could take 8-10 seconds because of the amount of
data in a grid, but with the easy way of restricting how much data to
return at a time with DAO that same form took less than a second.

This is not a bash of the BDE.  I use the BDE often in other places and
have no real complaints with it.  But in situations where you know your
backend and know it won't change then using a component set that goes
directly to that backend will always outperform the BDE (or ODBC or ADO
or any other common DB access scheme).

Roger Laenen wrote:

> Hi,

> We are currently evaluating the use of the product DOA (Direct Oracle
> Access) from a Dutch company called Allround Automations.
> It consists of a set of controls that replace the existing Delphi controls
> like Tdataset, TQuery, TStoredProc... with a set of equivalent controls that
> directly communicate with the Oracle SQL*Net layer.
> Benefits : Faster response times and no more BDE configuration. You just
> drop an EXE on the client's PC.

> Our first impressions are very positive.
> Is there anybody who has an in-depth experience with the product and the
> company behind it and who wishes to share his experience ???

> Thanks a lot,

> Roger Laenen.

Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email    'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives
 me directly unless     I dreamed of the moment of my own death
 asked.  Thank You)     That no one ever dreams and lives (Marillion)

Re:DOA (Direct Oracle Access) versus BDE

Do you have a small example of how to post a blob using DOA and a
parameterized Query?

thanks

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
Does your Database run on the Internet? It can!

Re:DOA (Direct Oracle Access) versus BDE

I'm not doing any Blob work with DAO at this time so I don't have an
example handy.  If you write mMarco directly he problably has one.