.lck file size, clearing out .lck file automatically

Hi,

I've currentlyt got to deal with an application that runs quite reliably using Paradox 7 tables.  Every couple of months though we start having problems due the size of the .lck file growing rather large.  I do not understand exactly why this would necessarily happen in the first place.  Could this be a side symtom of a hidden bug in the system?  In any case, one way of dealing with this problem is to get everybody off the system and delete the lock file.  However this is not alway practical (this system is used *very* frequently).  So what I want to know is:  Is there a programmatic 'legal' way to access the lock file and clear out stale entries thereby shrinking the lockfile size without having to get everyone off the system and physically deleting the file?   And secondly, should I go bug hunting (ie does this indicate a possible problem somewhere in the program where locks are not being cleared consistently etc.?)

TIA

Walter Prins

Re:.lck file size, clearing out .lck file automatically

See http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,15256,00.html

--
Bill

Re:.lck file size, clearing out .lck file automatically

>Is there a programmatic 'legal' way to access the lock file and clear out stale entries
> thereby shrinking the lockfile size without having to get everyone off the system and
>physically deleting the file?

No

> And secondly, should I go bug hunting (ie does this indicate a possible problem
>somewhere in the program where locks are not being cleared consistently etc.?)

There are some things you can do to minimize lock file growth.  Primarily you
want to make sure that your Private Dir is not the same as your Working
directory.
see http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,15256,00.html for more
information.

--