Installing Delphi App & Informix Client

I have written an App in Delphi which connects to an Informix database.
I am using Install Shield to install the Delphi App, however I would
also like to install the Informix Client (I-Connect 32) and set the
environment and server paramarters all within the install of the app.

First is this possible with Installl Shield (I don't think so) and
if not has anyone else been in this situation, because I would
appreciate some advice.

Also, is it possible to set my own default values for I-Connect
to use when it is installed.

My news server is not reliable so I would appreciate email.

Thank-you in advance
Adam Sorati
asor...@link.com.au

Re:Installing Delphi App & Informix Client

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:07:49 +1100, Adam Sorati <asor...@link.com.au>
wrote:

>First is this possible with Installl Shield (I don't think so) and
>if not has anyone else been in this situation, because I would
>appreciate some advice.

It should be possible. You include the install of the Informix Iconnect32
in the installation and set InstallShield Express to launch the Informix
install whenever you want.

>Also, is it possible to set my own default values for I-Connect
>to use when it is installed.

Not as far as I know, especially because Iconnect has a seperate
installation routine. You may of course always use InstallShield to set
those values if IConnect uses either the registry or an INI file to store
the settings.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

== owner@ ==
== ellipse- ==
== data.com ==
== Fix the ==
== above for ==
== address ==

-
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=            Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/              =
=             Delphi Super Page: http://ftp.is.co.za/dsp/               =
=  Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/    =

Re:Installing Delphi App & Informix Client

In article <33666c64.43622...@jhb-news.iafrica.com>,
r...@root.root.tree.root.root.leaf.root (Stefan Paetow (see the signature below for address)) wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:07:49 +1100, Adam Sorati <asor...@link.com.au>
>wrote:
>>First is this possible with Installl Shield (I don't think so) and
>>if not has anyone else been in this situation, because I would
>>appreciate some advice.

>It should be possible. You include the install of the Informix Iconnect32
>in the installation and set InstallShield Express to launch the Informix
>install whenever you want.

InstallShield Express (at least the version shipped with D2)
cannot launch other programs.

>>Also, is it possible to set my own default values for I-Connect
>>to use when it is installed.

>Not as far as I know, especially because Iconnect has a seperate
>installation routine. You may of course always use InstallShield to set
>those values if IConnect uses either the registry or an INI file to store
>the settings.

You can manually configure all of Informix's registry settings.

Look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Informix
    and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/INFORMIX

We wrote a program that sucks the values out of the registry and restores
them later on another machine.

INFORMIX: You should supply such a program too!
NILS    : Don't even *mention* OpenLink :-)

We also decided not to "roll our own" I-Connect installation into the
main installation, because reverse engineering the Informix install is
a pain (that we don't want to continually have to do) and we thought
we *should* use the "proper" installation technique supplied by Informix.

Cheers,
Kerry S
PS: Spam-proof address like:
    r...@root.root.tree.root.root.leaf.root are about as irritating as
    spam itself.
Kerry Sainsbury, ke...@kcbbs.gen.nz |      THE INFORMIX FAQ v2.8 March 1997
Quanta Systems, Auckland            | http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/
New Zealand. Work: +64 9 377-4473   |  ftp://ftp.iiug.org/pub/informix/faq
             Home: +64 9 279-3571   |  ftp://kcbbs.gen.nz:/pub/informix/

Other Threads