Windows NT and Paradox networked files

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to make an application work on a Windows 95 set of
networked PCs.  One of the PCs is not running Windows 95, but it is running
Windows NT 4 (SP3).  We are getting a rather odd error on that one.

First, a bit of information about the set up.  A number of PCs are connected
via an ethernet network, and communicate with TCP/IP.  They share directories
via the Windows 95 share feature.  The application that I'm helping finish is
using Paradox files.  I set up the BDE so that they all point to the same
tables on a shared directory, and I've also set the Paradox NET DIR to point to
the same directory for all PCs.  The shared directories are all shared
read/write.  If we run one or more copy of the applications, everything works
except for a single machine, the one running Windows NT.

In the case of this last, the application starts, and it seems to open a few
file until I get an error that it cannot find a specific index file.  Now, this
index file is there, and the other applications (which are also all using the
same shared directory but running under Windows 95) have no problem opening it.
The application when running under Windows NT and accessing the share directory
can't open this index, for some reason.

We copied the data files over to the local hard disk of the Windows NT machine,
and changed the alias to point to those, and everything works fine.  The only
time we get the error is if the application is trying to go over the network to
open these files.

Now, this error feels very much like one of those "too many files open" type of
error.  Could NT have some option somewhere to adjust this (outside of the BDE,
which is set properly, as far as I can tell)?  Could there be other things that
we have missed that are different between NT and Windows 95 with regards to
accessing networked files?

Thanks,
Denis
Aquarius Creations
dsarra...@{*word*104}us.ca
http://www.{*word*104}us.ca/~dsarrazin/Homepage1.html

Re:Windows NT and Paradox networked files

Have a look at Amber Computer Systems, the Delphi bit. They have a VERY
useful document on network problems which includes a note about use of
the BDE to determine concurent users. Seems to work just fine with
Paradox tables, not looked at it for anything else yet.
Amber are at http://www.acsi.bc.ca/
Dave Bolt/UK
Analyst/Programmer
Delphi & C/C++

Denis Sarrazin wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm in the process of trying to make an application work on a Windows 95 set of
> networked PCs.  One of the PCs is not running Windows 95, but it is running
> Windows NT 4 (SP3).  We are getting a rather odd error on that one.

Have a look at Amber Computer Systems, the Delphi bit. They have a VERY
useful looking document on network problems. Includes lots of comments
about problems with Novell, Win 95 and NT networks.
Amber are at http://www.acsi.bc.ca/
Dave Bolt/UK
Analyst/Programmer
Delphi & C/C++

Re:Windows NT and Paradox networked files

Sorry for the duplicate post

Other Threads