Help on creating Context sensitive Help Files

Hi
I am working on a project in Delphi 1. The Database application is done.
Now I need to create context sensitive help files. I found that after
creating the HPJ file and RTF file, if I compile the HPJ using Microsoft
Help compiler shipped with Delphi 1, I'll be able to create the context
sensitive Windows Help files. I created the RTF file using Microsoft
Word 97 and created the HPJ file using DOS editor. When I compiled the
file an error message came up saying that " Context string(s) in MAP
section is not found in the topics" . I opened the compiled HLP file and
found that all the format functions(\rtf...\page) which I typed in the
RTF file appeared in the HLP file. Also I have a doubt of linking each
and every edit boxes and buttons of my project to the compiled help
file, so that when a user hits F1 the help shows up. Could someone give
me an idea.
 Also I have an other doubt that as the version of Delphi is 16-bit
version, will the help file be compatible to Windows 95/98/NT. The
Microsoft Help Compiler shipped with Delphi 1 is HC31. Will the RTF file
format for Windows 95 be compatible to be used with HC31, or should I
have used Word 6.0 or earlier.Any help is appreciated.
Thank you very much

Shillu Joseph.

Re:Help on creating Context sensitive Help Files

Shillu Joseph <e...@tcimet.net> wrote:
>Hi
>I am working on a project in Delphi 1. The Database application is done.
>Now I need to create context sensitive help files. I found that after
>creating the HPJ file and RTF file, if I compile the HPJ using Microsoft
>Help compiler shipped with Delphi 1, I'll be able to create the context
>sensitive Windows Help files. I created the RTF file using Microsoft
>Word 97 and created the HPJ file using DOS editor. When I compiled the
>file an error message came up saying that " Context string(s) in MAP
>section is not found in the topics" . I opened the compiled HLP file and
>found that all the format functions(\rtf...\page) which I typed in the
>RTF file appeared in the HLP file. Also I have a doubt of linking each
>and every edit boxes and buttons of my project to the compiled help
>file, so that when a user hits F1 the help shows up. Could someone give
>me an idea.
> Also I have an other doubt that as the version of Delphi is 16-bit
>version, will the help file be compatible to Windows 95/98/NT. The
>Microsoft Help Compiler shipped with Delphi 1 is HC31. Will the RTF file
>format for Windows 95 be compatible to be used with HC31, or should I
>have used Word 6.0 or earlier.Any help is appreciated.
>Thank you very much

>Shillu Joseph.

Shillu,

        There are several things that need to be addressed:  1) when you
created the RTF file with Word 97, did you happen to run the RTF fix
program against it?  Word 97 uses a different RTF spec than Word
6/7(8/95).  Look at http://www.helpmaster.com for the file (its
freeware); 2)   Will the application be for Win3.1 or WIn95/NT?  If
the latter, use the newer compilier (also available from the URL I
listed earlier.  It doesn't need the RTF fix);  3)  Context sensitive
help (CSH) is something that needs to be thought out a bit.  Each
control (component) in your application will have a Help Context
property.  Unfortunately, this property is looking for an integer
value and WinHelp uses a "context id" (non-integer).  You will need to
create (in your HPJ file) a MAP section with each context id listed,
along with a corresponding integer value.  Otherwise, your app will
not be able to call the proper topic; 4) 16 bit WinHelp files can be
run under Win95/98/NT, but NT handles them a little bit differently
(it still has a 16 bit version of the WinHelp included whereas the
others don't - 32 bit only).

        Hopefully, I haven't scared you off of putting CSH in your
application.  If you still have questions, contact me.

Mike

- Mike Bandor  (band...@vitrex.net)
- Software Engineer:    Delphi/Ada/C++/Java/Win3.1/
-                       Win95/Winhelp/JOVIAL/MASM
-
- "Trying to manage programmers
-  is like trying to herd cats!"
-
- Speaking for myself!  Standard disclaimer applies.
- Author of MEGATERMS:  Military Terms and Acronyms
- http://www.vitrex.net/~bandorm/megaterm/megaterm.htm
- ftp://vitrex.net/usr/b/bandorm/m-term.zip