Database Error Problem - Please Help

I'm new to Delphi and just wrote a small application that reads & modifies a
Paradox Database.  The program runs fine on my computer, but the problem is
that when I created an "exe" file and passed it and the database files on to a
friend, the friend could not run the program and got the following error
" $2108  An error occured while attempting to initialize the Borland Database
Engine"

I created the same directory on the second computer, the file names are the
same, I don't use any DLL's and there are no "EXTERNAL" calls.

Please give me some guidance in very basic terms ....

Thanks in advance .... John Biddle

Re:Database Error Problem - Please Help

The database engine referred to needs to be on your friends computer to run
database engine programs.  Solution: install the Borland DBE.

steps:  D1 - copy the 2 disk install set (from the CD) and run setup.exe
from disk 1
        D2 - create an install set using the install system on the CD
             - or (what I do) down load the latest engine from WWW.BORLAND.COM as
an install set and use that.

If you use alias's then remember to add them.

--
Paul Motyer
***pa...@linuxserver.pccity.com.au*** currently broken

John R. Biddle <aneg...@inmind.com> wrote in article
<5d6emp$...@mujibur.inmind.com>...

> I'm new to Delphi and just wrote a small application that reads &
modifies a
> Paradox Database.  The program runs fine on my computer, but the problem
is
> that when I created an "exe" file and passed it and the database files on
to a
> friend, the friend could not run the program and got the following error
> " $2108  An error occured while attempting to initialize the Borland
Database
> Engine"

> I created the same directory on the second computer, the file names are
the
> same, I don't use any DLL's and there are no "EXTERNAL" calls.

> Please give me some guidance in very basic terms ....

> Thanks in advance .... John Biddle

Re:Database Error Problem - Please Help

To All:

Get the latest engine from the Borland web site. If you don't know the
address, here is a link on our page to the latest Borland Engine.
There is a set of two disks in the zip file. It is the easiest way to
get the latest version. Then you can make up a set of disks to
distribute or incude in your install program.

--
___________________
Regards,

WEB page: http://mindlink.net/amber_computer/
Components Page: http://mindlink.net/amber_computer/comp01.htm

Re:Database Error Problem - Please Help

|>I'm new to Delphi and just wrote a small application that reads & modifies a
|>Paradox Database.  The program runs fine on my computer, but the problem is
|>that when I created an "exe" file and passed it and the database files on to a
|>
|>friend, the friend could not run the program and got the following error
|>" $2108  An error occured while attempting to initialize the Borland Database
|>Engine"
|>
|>I created the same directory on the second computer, the file names are the
|>same, I don't use any DLL's and there are no "EXTERNAL" calls.
|>
|>Please give me some guidance in very basic terms ....
|>
|>Thanks in advance .... John Biddle

You have to distribute the BDE also.  Look in the books and it is explained.

Other Threads