PARADOX TABLES NOT LOCKING. PLEASE HELP

I have an app that is now setup on a Win95 network.  I know there
have been several posts already but none have addressed my particular
query so please read on.

In my app, all the tables have exclusive set to false as I want all
users to be able to read (if not edit) all records if they desire
whether or not the table is open on another machine.
I have set the net dir to the same directory in BDECFG on both
machines.
When I run the app both users (at present it is only a two computer
network) can edit the same record at the same time, but the changes
one user makes is not visible to the second user even if the refresh
button is clicked.  If both users save edits and then close the
application, the user who saved last (I think - but not totally sure)
is the one whose edits are saved to the table when both users restart
the program.

(1)  Is there any way with a paradox table to allow users to view but
not edit if another user is viewing a particular record?  Or is this
only available with certain SQL servers as stated in the on-line
help?

(2)  Can someone explain what is happening in the above description
e.g. why even though one computer saves changes, that the other user
cannot see them even after a refresh.

(3)  Why in the net dir is there two LCK files.  Paradox.lck and
pdoxusrs.lck?  What are they both for - or is it something I have
done?

(4)  How can you programmatically detect if one user opens a record
that is being edited by another terminal?  Is there an error
generated?

Thanks for any help and if you could reply to me direct as well as to
the group I would be grateful as my internet provider is having all
sorts of problems and appears to have lost four days worth of
Delphi-talk (unless it has gone down itself again).  My new e-mail
appears to be delivered OK.   TIA.

         | ~  ~ |
        (| @  @ |)
----oOOo---(__)---oOOo-------
Andy Williams Birmingham, UK
-----------------------------

Re:PARADOX TABLES NOT LOCKING. PLEASE HELP

You need to change the setting in the BDE which Reads LOCAL SHARE. Set it
to true on all workstations and try again.

Good Luck

dstr...@mindspring.com

dstr...@mindspring.com (David W. Streever) wrote:

>You need to change the setting in the BDE which Reads LOCAL SHARE. Set it
>to true on all workstations and try again.
>Good Luck
>dstr...@mindspring.com

Yep,
Thanks this is what I wanted.