Board index » delphi » How do I validate an email address before sending

How do I validate an email address before sending

Is there a way to validate an email address?
(I am using Indy SMTP)

Thanks in advance
Sarah

 

Re:How do I validate an email address before sending


When you access an SMTP server, you can do VRFY to see if the user is
valid....assuming the network administrator hasn't disabled that feature
(which they should have) to prevent spamming.  You may need to write your
own component to do this check....INDY has all the tools you need.  Let us
know if you need more assistance.

Cheers,

Charles

Quote
"Sarah Bram" <sarahb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:3b991eb7_1@dnews...
Quote
> Is there a way to validate an email address?
> (I am using Indy SMTP)

> Thanks in advance
> Sarah

Re:How do I validate an email address before sending


Here's how you could do...connect to the SMTP server in question.  When you
connect, issue the VRFY command as follows.  This is a doctored result from
my own mail server that I enabled the VRFY function on.

vrfy geo...@xxx.com
250 George of the Jungle<geo...@mail.xxx.com>
vrfy sp...@xxx.com
250 Peter Parker<sp...@mail.xxx.com>
vrfy nor...@xxx.com
550 nor...@xxx.com... User unknown

Maybe I'll actually this thing for you...or somebody else will...it's a
pretty simple protocol.

Cheers,

Charles

Quote
"Sarah Bram" <sarahb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:3b991eb7_1@dnews...
Quote
> Is there a way to validate an email address?
> (I am using Indy SMTP)

> Thanks in advance
> Sarah

Re:How do I validate an email address before sending


Quote
"Charles Stack" <char...@codycomp.com> wrote in message

news:3b99634b_1@dnews...

Quote
> > Is there a way to validate an email address?
> > (I am using Indy SMTP)
> Here's how you could do...connect to the SMTP server in question.  When
you
> connect, issue the VRFY command as follows.  This is a doctored result
from
> my own mail server that I enabled the VRFY function on.
> vrfy geo...@xxx.com
> 250 George of the Jungle<geo...@mail.xxx.com>
> vrfy sp...@xxx.com
> 250 Peter Parker<sp...@mail.xxx.com>
> vrfy nor...@xxx.com
> 550 nor...@xxx.com... User unknown
> Maybe I'll actually this thing for you...or somebody else will...it's a
> pretty simple protocol.

It's already part of Indy 9.  Use TIdSMTP.Verify('geo...@xxx.com').  There's
also TIdSMTP.Expand for list membership.

hth...

Re:How do I validate an email address before sending


Cool.

"Don Siders - Team Indy" <side...@att.net> wrote in message
news:3b999bf0_2@dnews...

Quote

> "Charles Stack" <char...@codycomp.com> wrote in message
> news:3b99634b_1@dnews...

> > > Is there a way to validate an email address?
> > > (I am using Indy SMTP)

> > Here's how you could do...connect to the SMTP server in question.  When
> you
> > connect, issue the VRFY command as follows.  This is a doctored result
> from
> > my own mail server that I enabled the VRFY function on.

> > vrfy geo...@xxx.com
> > 250 George of the Jungle<geo...@mail.xxx.com>
> > vrfy sp...@xxx.com
> > 250 Peter Parker<sp...@mail.xxx.com>
> > vrfy nor...@xxx.com
> > 550 nor...@xxx.com... User unknown

> > Maybe I'll actually this thing for you...or somebody else will...it's a
> > pretty simple protocol.

> It's already part of Indy 9.  Use TIdSMTP.Verify('geo...@xxx.com').
There's
> also TIdSMTP.Expand for list membership.

> hth...

Other Threads