The where is old STEP reserved word

Hello.

I remember when i was youg, i was able to write

For i:=a [to|downto] b STEP 4 do
Begin
end;

where is this STEP in delphi? why did it wanish? I Want it back!!

--
A+ Cyrille de Brebisson

Le Meilleur moment pour planter un arbre etait il y a 20 ans. Le Deuxiemme
meilleur moment est maintenant
The Best Time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best moment is
now.

http://www.capway.com/brebisso

Re:The where is old STEP reserved word

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998 08:41:47 +1100, "Cyrille de Brebisson"

<cyrille_de-brebis...@aus.hp.com> wrote:

>Hello.

>I remember when i was youg, i was able to write

>For i:=a [to|downto] b STEP 4 do
>Begin
>end;

>where is this STEP in delphi? why did it wanish? I Want it back!!

I think the problem is that when you were young you were using BASIC.
STEP has never been a keyword in Borland Pascal.

Duncan Murdoch

dmurd...@pair.com (Duncan Murdoch) wrote:
>I think the problem is that when you were young you were using BASIC.
>STEP has never been a keyword in Borland Pascal.

Another explanation may be he  used either Simula or Algol.

Cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
> Hello.

> I remember when i was youg, i was able to write

> For i:=a [to|downto] b STEP 4 do
> Begin
> end;

> where is this STEP in delphi? why did it wanish? I Want it back!!

  I don't think STEP was ever a standard Pascal keyword. You may be mixing up
BASIC with Pascal, or it was some other non-standard version of Pascal.

  For Delphi, you'll need to use a while or repeat loop, doing the
incrementing/decrementing yourself.

All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!!
http://www.ntsource.com/~andyross

Re:The where is old STEP reserved word

hello

>>I think the problem is that when you were young you were using BASIC.
>>STEP has never been a keyword in Borland Pascal.

>Another explanation may be he  used either Simula or Algol.

Hopfully, my computer science teachers were old guys, so I know that Simula
and Algol wrer used languages a while ago, but I never actualy saw compiler
for them. I think I pick the STEP in the TO7 basic (You know, 10 CLS 20 GOTO
10).

But, it would be great to have it in pascal from time to time. Inprise, did
you here that? :-)

A+ Cyrille de Brebisson

Le Meilleur moment pour planter un arbre etait il y a 20 ans. Le Deuxiemme
meilleur moment est maintenant
The Best Time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best moment is
now.

http://www.capway.com/brebisso

Re:The where is old STEP reserved word

I remember STEP in Algol & Basic never Pascal.
I also remember waaayyy back in '67 being told not to bother with BASIC
since it was only a training language. Pity Bill Gates didn't have my
tutor!!!!
Nick Gabb
Andrew Rossmann wrote:

> Cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

> > Hello.

> > I remember when i was youg, i was able to write

> > For i:=a [to|downto] b STEP 4 do
> > Begin
> > end;

> > where is this STEP in delphi? why did it wanish? I Want it back!!

>   I don't think STEP was ever a standard Pascal keyword. You may be mixing up
> BASIC with Pascal, or it was some other non-standard version of Pascal.

>   For Delphi, you'll need to use a while or repeat loop, doing the
> incrementing/decrementing yourself.

> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!!
> http://www.ntsource.com/~andyross

Re:The where is old STEP reserved word

"Cyrille de Brebisson" <cyrille_de-brebis...@aus.hp.com> wrote:

>hello

>>>I think the problem is that when you were young you were using BASIC.
>>>STEP has never been a keyword in Borland Pascal.

>>Another explanation may be he  used either Simula or Algol.

>Hopfully, my computer science teachers were old guys, so I know that Simula
>and Algol wrer used languages a while ago, but I never actualy saw compiler

I think there exists one for PC too. If not to wrong, Simula AS,
R?atoppen 20, pb. 179 R?a, 0702 Oslo, Norway, tlf. +4722522566 is a
place to contact.

Re:The where is old STEP reserved word

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998 16:15:09 +1100, "Cyrille de Brebisson"

<cyrille_de-brebis...@aus.hp.com> wrote:

[...]

>But, it would be great to have it in pascal from time to time. Inprise, did
>you here that? :-)

[...]

INPRISE provides an official resource specifically for this purpose: the
Delphi bug reporting Web page. It is not just for bugs, but also for
suggesting product changes and improvements.

  http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bugs/bug_reports.html

Quite a number of enhancements in Delphi have come about as a direct result
of customer feedback through this venue.

Steve Koterski                      "The knowledge of the world is only to
Technical Publications              be acquired in the world, and not in a
INPRISE Corporation                 closet."
http://www.inprise.com/delphi          -- Earl of Chesterfield (1694-1773)

Other Threads