Alias data path confusion

  The BDE is preventing me from allowing users on the LAN to access two
slightly different copies of a Delphi application (in two totally different
directories!!! With different data sets !)  using  Paradox tables - In the
Bde (version 3.0) I see the possibility for "Aliases" with different
directories , but there is NO documentation as to how to refer to these !!!
  I'm picking up support for an existing older Delphi app -
  In other words the  path to data in one Alias seems to be locking in all
running Delphi programs on the net to use just one data source -