SQL Links BDE and Oracle

>ORA-03121 No interface driver connected - function not performed.

We have had the same problem with our O7.2 database. We found the
answer of this problem on the Borland site. As the NET protocol you should use
'TNS' and NOT TCP/IP. As the database name you should use the connect string
to the O7 database.
If you succeed in connecting to the O7 and don't get the message 'your
application is not enabled for use with this driver' please let me know. We
can connect to O7 with the database desktop but not from the developer and
database explorer.We get the above message. Again, Borland helpdesk has no
answers....
We are using W95, O7.2 database, designer/developer 2000, Vendor init
SQL72.DLL, SQL Links 3.0

Regards
Albert

Re:SQL Links BDE and Oracle

Having unpacked my new copy of Delphi/Client Server and installed it I tried to connect to our Oracle database (the purpose of purchasing said software).

We are running Oracle 7.1 with SQLNet 2.0  with Developer 2000 on the client PC.

I configured the BDE to setup an Oracle driver with the following parameters:

Type: SERVER
Server Name: GNVQT  (the name of our Oracle database)
Net Protocol TCP/IP (the database is on a SUN)
DLL: SQLD_ORA.DLL
Vendor Init: ORA7WIN.DLL

The settings for the alias are the same.

Now when I try and connect to the database from within the Database Desktop I
get the following error

ORA-03121 No interface driver connected - function not performed.

That seems to indicate that the SQLNet drivers are not being loaded correctly,
however using Oracle nettest.exe utility with the Server Name parameter (and username and password) it connects OK.

I have an entry in my Oracle TNSNAMES.ORA file for the GNVQT database which I
believe is what Oracle uses does Delphi not do the same?

Can Delphi only connect to an Oracle database using SQLNet v1.1? Or am I
doing something wrong in my setup.  Unfortunately the manuals that come with
Delphi are a little short of working examples so if anyone can spot a mistake inwhat I am doing I would appreciate being told.

Thanks

Adam Knight
Systems Developer
University of Bath
UK
ccsa...@bath.ac.uk

Re:SQL Links BDE and Oracle

Adam,

I just spent a week  tracking down this same problem.  It is a BDE
configuration error, but an undocumented one...

The NET PROTOCOL should be *BLANK*, not TCP/IP (or anything else).  You
might also get it to work by setting NET PROTOCOL  to "TNS".  The server
name should be a proper name (like your TNS Name or a full t:host:SID).

If you go to the SQL Links Tech Support page at www.borland.com they
have a few various "oracle connection tips" text files that point
this out.

Hope it helps...

Andrew

A J M Knight wrote:

> Having unpacked my new copy of Delphi/Client Server and installed it I tried to connect to our Oracle database (the purpose of purchasing said software).

> We are running Oracle 7.1 with SQLNet 2.0  with Developer 2000 on the client PC.

> I configured the BDE to setup an Oracle driver with the following parameters:

> Type: SERVER
> Server Name: GNVQT  (the name of our Oracle database)
> Net Protocol TCP/IP (the database is on a SUN)
> DLL: SQLD_ORA.DLL
> Vendor Init: ORA7WIN.DLL

> The settings for the alias are the same.

> Now when I try and connect to the database from within the Database Desktop I
> get the following error

> ORA-03121 No interface driver connected - function not performed.

> That seems to indicate that the SQLNet drivers are not being loaded correctly,
> however using Oracle nettest.exe utility with the Server Name parameter (and username and password) it connects OK.

> I have an entry in my Oracle TNSNAMES.ORA file for the GNVQT database which I
> believe is what Oracle uses does Delphi not do the same?

> Can Delphi only connect to an Oracle database using SQLNet v1.1? Or am I
> doing something wrong in my setup.  Unfortunately the manuals that come with
> Delphi are a little short of working examples so if anyone can spot a mistake inwhat I am doing I would appreciate being told.

> Thanks

> Adam Knight
> Systems Developer
> University of Bath
> UK
> ccsa...@bath.ac.uk

 Some people just dream about possibilities...
   ... others stay up too late and make them happen.

Re:SQL Links BDE and Oracle

Albert Drent wrote:

> >ORA-03121 No interface driver connected - function not performed.

> We have had the same problem with our O7.2 database. We found the
> answer of this problem on the Borland site. As the NET protocol you should use
> 'TNS' and NOT TCP/IP. As the database name you should use the connect string
> to the O7 database.
> If you succeed in connecting to the O7 and don't get the message 'your
> application is not enabled for use with this driver' please let me know. We
> can connect to O7 with the database desktop but not from the developer and
> database explorer.We get the above message. Again, Borland helpdesk has no
> answers....
> We are using W95, O7.2 database, designer/developer 2000, Vendor init
> SQL72.DLL, SQL Links 3.0

> Regards
> Albert

Hmm... I've had relatively few problems hooking into Oracle (Oracle 7.1,
NT3.51, Delphi 1 and 2).  My only problem was in upgrading Oracle from
16 to 32.  I was using old SQLNet1.1 (?) and everything continued to
work, however, it was slooowww.  I updated to SQLNET2 and set up a TNS
of oracle.world and everythign great.
--
John Parrott
Elysium Financial Systems

Re:SQL Links BDE and Oracle

Albert Drent <adr...@noord.bart.nl> wrote in article
<53bfva$...@lava.ivg.com>...

> >ORA-03121 No interface driver connected - function not performed.

> We have had the same problem with our O7.2 database. We found the
> answer of this problem on the Borland site. As the NET protocol you
should use
> 'TNS' and NOT TCP/IP. As the database name you should use the connect
string
> to the O7 database.
> If you succeed in connecting to the O7 and don't get the message 'your
> application is not enabled for use with this driver' please let me know.
We
> can connect to O7 with the database desktop but not from the developer
and
> database explorer.We get the above message. Again, Borland helpdesk has
no
> answers....
> We are using W95, O7.2 database, designer/developer 2000, Vendor init
> SQL72.DLL, SQL Links 3.0

Use ODBC. Don't use BDE. Use ODBCExpress.

Ok, I'll explain. Although I don't use Oracle or Delphi C/S, I do use
Delphi Desktop
and SQL Server (or Access, or SQL Anywhere). Having used VB professionally
for
a couple of years, I was frankly disgusted with Delphi's somewhat pathetic
attempts
at DB access, and Interbase looks horribly complex, so I abandoned Delphi
and
went back to VB. Since then, I got back into Delphi, and was looking for a
BDE
replacement, and found ODBCExpress.

To cut a long story short, provided you can set up a working ODBC
connection
to your Oracle DB (and you can test it using Access for example), then you
will
be able to connect using ODBCExpress.

Try it, you might like it. It can be found at http://www.adam.co.za, and no
they
don't pay me for advertising it; I just found it to be the solution to my
BDE
problems.

HTH
        Ade.