XP Home Compatibility

Hi and apologies if this is the incorrect newsgroup.

I am looking at a bundled PC with XP Home on it so my question is: How
compatible is XP home for a developer?  That is; if I compile under XP home
will the program (.exe) run under XP professional, 2000, NT...
or should I by XP Professional straight up?

Thanks
David

Re:XP Home Compatibility

It makes no difference what OS you compile under, the exe will be the same.
--
Finn Tolderlund

David wrote:

| I am looking at a bundled PC with XP Home on it so my question is: How
| compatible is XP home for a developer?  That is; if I compile under XP
| home will the program (.exe) run under XP professional, 2000, NT...
| or should I by XP Professional straight up?

IMO, XP Home is a dangerous OS as there are so many security settings that
are open by default.

I have not moved to XP yet but if I am forced to, it will be XP Pro and then
I would need to go through it with a fine tooth comb to close down all Uncle
Bill's loopholes.

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter
Consultant Software Engineer

Re:XP Home Compatibility

Joanna Carter wrote:
> IMO, XP Home is a dangerous OS as there are so many security settings that
> are open by default.

> I have not moved to XP yet but if I am forced to, it will be XP Pro and then
> I would need to go through it with a fine tooth comb to close down all Uncle
> Bill's loopholes.

> Joanna

Hi,

I recently had the chance to have a new machine running XP Pro. As I
have an ADSL connection I have a firewall. I am amazed at the number of
processes that are being triggered to connect to this ip address and
that ip address. Is there a site that lists the ports that can be closed
so at least there is some measure of security?

Cheers,
Phillip Flores
"Track your time and bill your client correctly..Use VeriTime"
http://www.pcfworks.com/veritime/index.html

Re:XP Home Compatibility

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:21:57 +1000, Phillip Flores wrote:
> I recently had the chance to have a new machine running XP Pro. As I
> have an ADSL connection I have a firewall. I am amazed at the number of
> processes that are being triggered to connect to this ip address and
> that ip address. Is there a site that lists the ports that can be closed
> so at least there is some measure of security?

Just close everything. Your browser will stop working, so open up for the
browser. Your newsreader and mail program as well. And then any other
program that is supposed to access the net (although, for icq, you could
block connections to the ad servers ;-) )

I used Tiny Personal Firewall for that.

johannes

Re:XP Home Compatibility

"David" wrote

> I am looking at a bundled PC with XP Home on it so my question is: How
> compatible is XP home for a developer?  That is; if I compile under XP
home
> will the program (.exe) run under XP professional, 2000, NT...
> or should I by XP Professional straight up?

I use XP Home at home and XP Pro at work.
D6 works the same under both OS'es, the exe's are the same.
Only if you do advanced network/Internet programming I imagine you'll bump
into some of XP home's limitations, making it difficult to run/test your app
properly on XP home.
And also some services and user commands are not available under XP home, so
allow for that.
Not that it has bothered me very much so far (1 year).

Kristofer

Re:XP Home Compatibility

Phillip Flores wrote:
> Joanna Carter wrote:
> > IMO, XP Home is a dangerous OS as there are so many security settings that
> > are open by default.
> > > I have not moved to XP yet but if I am forced to, it will be XP Pro and then
> > I would need to go through it with a fine tooth comb to close down all Uncle
> > Bill's loopholes.
> > > Joanna

> Hi,

> I recently had the chance to have a new machine running XP Pro. As I have an ADSL connection I have a firewall. I am amazed at the number of processes that are being triggered to connect to this ip address and that ip address. Is there a site that lists the ports that can be closed so at least there is some measure of security?

> Cheers,
> Phillip Flores
> "Track your time and bill your client correctly..Use VeriTime"
> http://www.pcfworks.com/veritime/index.html

Try www.pcflank.com - theres a whole bunch of tests that it can run trying to access various ports on your system. Really good stuff (some of the tests can take ages, particularly running a port scanner on everything).

Great stuff, good way to test your firewall!

Cheers,

Dave

--
GlyFX - Highest quality toolbars, splash screens & application icons!
www.glyfx.com

Re:XP Home Compatibility

Joanna Carter wrote:
> David wrote:

> | I am looking at a bundled PC with XP Home on it so my question is: How
> | compatible is XP home for a developer?  That is; if I compile under XP
> | home will the program (.exe) run under XP professional, 2000, NT...
> | or should I by XP Professional straight up?

> IMO, XP Home is a dangerous OS as there are so many security settings that
> are open by default.

> I have not moved to XP yet but if I am forced to, it will be XP Pro and then
> I would need to go through it with a fine tooth comb to close down all Uncle
> Bill's loopholes.

> Joanna

The only major difference (apart from lots of annoying wizards) between Home and Pro is that Home cannot be a part of a domain. Both systems install with exactly the same security levels...

--

David Ridgway wrote:
> The only major difference (apart from lots of annoying wizards)
> between Home and Pro is that Home cannot be a part of a domain. Both
> systems install with exactly the same security levels...

        And both install a firewall by default, which is more than you can say
for previous versions of Windows and many Linux kits.

        -Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:XP Home Compatibility

"Phillip Flores" wrote

> I have a firewall. I am amazed at the number of
> processes that are being triggered to connect to this ip address and
> that ip address. Is there a site that lists the ports that can be closed
> so at least there is some measure of security?

Get a Router, and stop worrying about incoming attacks for the rest of your
life.
As for outgoing traffic, I use ZoneAlarm. After the initial few days of
exercising all my top-20 apps, the situation has stabilised; I haven't had
to worry about managing "program internet access" since then.

Kristofer

Re:XP Home Compatibility

"David Ridgway" <d...@NOSPAMperthweb.com.au> wrote in message

The only major difference (apart from lots of annoying wizards) between Home
and Pro is that Home cannot be a part of a domain. Both systems install with
exactly the same security levels...
<<<

In my experience, Home works just fine on a single domain network.

You can configure a network connection and Home will automagically log into
the primary domain controller and thus gain access to shared domain
resources if user, password and group/domain name *exactly* matches a domain
account.  Does this mean that it is *part* of the domain?  I don't know but
it gives me all the access I need.

What's missing is the multi-domain logon screen.

Re:XP Home Compatibility

Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I got more than I asked fro but just
what I needed.
David

Re:XP Home Compatibility

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:31:14 +0200, "Kristofer Skaug"

<ln.lla...@refotsirk.esaelp.mapson> wrote:
>"Phillip Flores" wrote
>> I have a firewall. I am amazed at the number of
>> processes that are being triggered to connect to this ip address and
>> that ip address. Is there a site that lists the ports that can be closed
>> so at least there is some measure of security?

>Get a Router, and stop worrying about incoming attacks for the rest of your
>life.
>As for outgoing traffic, I use ZoneAlarm. After the initial few days of
>exercising all my top-20 apps, the situation has stabilised; I haven't had
>to worry about managing "program internet access" since then.

Indeed....

Anyone developing software for a living should already know this.
Get a hardware firewall, engage its NAT machinery and forget
about the incomings.

If anyone is that paranoid about outgoing connections, ZA or
Norton's is indicated.

Trashing XP Home is an unprofessional stance.

Oz

Re:XP Home Compatibility

One big lack in Home ist the missing NTFS security tab. So aou are not able to setting the NTFS file securities.

Rolf

"Rolf Frei" <r...@hms.ch> wrote in

> One big lack in Home ist the missing NTFS security tab. So aou are
> not able to setting the NTFS file securities.

> Rolf

Indeed, I am just grappling with this while copying files from my old
W2K pro drive.  However, you can either boot XP into safe mode which
magically makes the security tabs appear allowing you to fix any
problems, or use cygwin's getfacl and setfacl utils.

Other Threads