TURNING OFF THE MONITOR (Compaq, Notebook)

I am trying to write a simple software for my Compaq notebook, which turns off
the monitor (screen) immediately. The monitor should stay OFF until another call
from my software sets it back ON. That is, at the DOS prompt you write
     SCREEN OFF
and the monitor goes off. Later on, when you want to, you write
     SCREEN ON
and the monitor goes back on. While it is off, the computer should work "normal"
(keyboard, hard drive, diskette drive, etc).

I have tried Int 10h, with AX=4F10h, and also Int 10h with the ah=12h, bl=35h,
and AL=02h. Both of these calls returns an error messages (in cf) meaning "not
supported", and the monitor still is ON. Is there any other way to make the monitor
going OFF? I know that in some ways Compaq is a bit 'special', so maybe there is
a vendor specific Interrupt call?

Just to clearify: The monitor I want to turn ON/OFF, is the built-in screen on the
computer. My notebook is a LTE ELITE 4/75CX (if that makes some sense).

Thank you for all kind assistance
Brian

Net-Tamer V 1.11 - Test Drive

Re:TURNING OFF THE MONITOR (Compaq, Notebook)

br-p...@online.no wrote:

: I am trying to write a simple software for my Compaq notebook, which turns off
: the monitor (screen) immediately. The monitor should stay OFF until another call
: from my software sets it back ON. That is, at the DOS prompt you write
:      SCREEN OFF
: and the monitor goes off. Later on, when you want to, you write
:      SCREEN ON
: and the monitor goes back on. While it is off, the computer should work "normal"
: (keyboard, hard drive, diskette drive, etc).

If that display tries to behave in a way that is compatible
with normal monitors, then switching off one of the sync
signals should do the trick. See the pascal sources on my
web homepage for dpms source, this should do the trick.
If it doesn't work, look in the interrupt listing of
Ralf Brown for apm (advanced power management).

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg
hartn...@uni-freiburg.de   http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/

Re:TURNING OFF THE MONITOR (Compaq, Notebook)

Did you try the <EXEC> Tp function to call external program ?

br-p...@online.no wrote in article <2MF93.1$eD6...@news1.online.no>...

> I am trying to write a simple software for my Compaq notebook, which
turns off
> the monitor (screen) immediately. ...

Other Threads