The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

I know I will get several different answers with this question, but will
you please tell me what the best report printing component for Delphi 4
is?

Thanks,

David K.

Re:The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

There's no BEST one. Every of them is good in some fields
And our HTMLReport has it's own niche too :)
You'll have to evaluate few tools and pick the one that best suites
you needs.
Gintaras Pikelis
Baltic Solutions
http://www.balticsolutions.com

Re:The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

David,

> I know I will get several different answers with this question, but will
> you please tell me what the best report printing component for Delphi 4
> is?

> Thanks,

> David K.

I strongly recommend downloading a trial version of ReportBuilder Pro.

R E P O R T B U I L D E R   W E B  L I N K S

The press release is available at

http://digital-metaphors.com/news01.html

You can download a trial version from:

http://digital-metaphors.com/prodprodemo1.html

Ordering info is available at

https://secure.unicomp.net/digital-metaphors/

With the trial version you can create reports just as you would with the
registered version, the only limitations are max of 5 pages of output
for any report and if you print to the printer, our company info will
print on the page also.

For a quick look at what ReportBuilder is capable of run the demos:

1. RBuilder Pro\Demos\Reports\Demo.dpr - contains over 70 sample reports
that show the various cabalities of the product. Serves as a great
learning tool also.

2. RBuilder Pro\Demos\EndUser\EndUser.dpr - contains a complete,
professional end-user reporting solution built using our End-User
Reporting Framework.

R E P O R T B U I L D E R   F E A T U R E S

ReportBuilder Features
---------------
Report Designer                 Full-featured, Office97 compliant

OnePass/TwoPass Report Engine   Instant page generation,
                                incremental caching

Text, Line & Shape Components   Work just like Delphi counterparts

Image Components                Bitmaps and WMFs supported

Rich Text Components            Stretches across pages, great for
                                mail-merge

Memo Components                 Stretches across pages

BarCode Components              Code 128, UPC-A, Code39,
                                Int2of5, EAN-13

SubReports                      Free-form, side-by-side, nested,
                                drill-down

Extensible Components           Create either static or
                                stretchable descendants

Columnar Reports                Spreadsheet-style reports and
                                mailing labels

Full Printer Control            Envelopes, custom-paper sizes,
                                duplex printing

Templates (Report Layouts)      Save report definitions in
                                database fields or files, deploy
                                new reports without recompiling

Precision                       Position components up to 1/1000
                                of a millimeter

International Language Support  11 languages, *all* strings and
                                messages translated

Archive (Native Report Output)  Print reports to stand-alone
                                files, preview later

Text File Output                Comma, tab and fixed length
                                formats supported

Open Data Output                Create support for new file
                                formats

Native Data Access (via BDE)    Access data via Delphi DataSources

Native Text File Access         Access text files directly,
                                compile w/out BDE

Open Data Access                Create your own data access,
                                compile w/out BDE

ActiveX Archive Print Preview   Preview archived reports in an
                                HTML Browser

ReportBuilder Pro Features
--------------------
Everything in ReportBuilder plus:

End-User Report Designer        Deploy an interface your users
                                already know

End-User Reporting Framework    Allow end-users to manage
                                reports and data

Report Wizard                   Create new reports with a few
                                clicks of the mouse

Query Wizard                    Create new data with a few
                                clicks of the mouse

Good luck!

--
Nard Moseley            mailto:n...@digital-metaphors.com
Digital Metaphors       http://www.digital-metaphors.com

Re:The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

A while ago I invested a good deal of time and effort to
thoroughly investige all of the available Reporting solutions
( bar the Latest HTML based one whose name escapes me ).

With no preconceptions, I came to the following conclusion:

If there will NEVER be a need for your 'End Users' to modify
or create a Report, go for Report Builder.  Support is excellent.

If you may need to let 'End Users' modify or create a Report
then use QRDesign (http://www.thsd.de).  It uses QuickReport
as an engine and works around QuickReports idiosyncracies.
I have (figuratively) thrashed it and never had a single
hickup or Tech Support problem from my customers. Also,
support is excellent.

The ONLY reason why I would suggest using Report Builder if
you can get away with it, is that you will avoid any
future Quick Report related problems.

Price wasn't a consideration for me, but if it is for you,
Report Builder is (around) $400.  QRDesign is $50 (I couldn't
believe it either) and has, in my opinion, the better End User
Helpfile.

But ACE certainly deserves an honourable mention, missing out
only because it doesn't offer End User Ad Hoc Reporting.

At least that's it from my perspective.

Graham Wood.
GDW FLEETWARE.

Nard Moseley wrote:

> [...]

>                                 compile w/out BDE

> ActiveX Archive Print Preview   Preview archived reports in an
>                                 HTML Browser

> ReportBuilder Pro Features
> --------------------
> Everything in ReportBuilder plus:

> End-User Report Designer        Deploy an interface your users
>                                 already know

> End-User Reporting Framework    Allow end-users to manage
>                                 reports and data

> Report Wizard                   Create new reports with a few
>                                 clicks of the mouse

> Query Wizard                    Create new data with a few
>                                 clicks of the mouse

> Good luck!

> --
> Nard Moseley            mailto:n...@digital-metaphors.com
> Digital Metaphors       http://www.digital-metaphors.com

Re:The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

I have had excellent results with ReportPrinterPro2.0S
(www.nevrona.com)--the product is very stable, and in my experience has been
essentially bug-free.  I needed it because most of my reports contain memo
fields, which Quick Report 2.0k was unable to consistently handle correctly.
It is a code-based report writer, and allows complete flexibility in layout
of ones reports. All the reports I wrote using it in Delphi3 has complied
and work correctly when recompiled in Delphi4.  Recommend downloading their
tutorial and trial version--one will need to go through the tutorial to
learn the product.  It will take about a week to get comfortable, but once
learned it is easy to use.  A version with a visual designer is due out
soon.  Good luck.
Gene
David Kroll wrote in message <3635FEE3.4C48E...@tdcj.state.tx.us>...
>I know I will get several different answers with this question, but will
>you please tell me what the best report printing component for Delphi 4
>is?

>Thanks,

>David K.

Re:The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

I would strongly suggest grabbing some of the Trial versions and testing
them out.

Personally I use and recommend Nevrona's ReportPrinter Pro, and the Trial
version for v2 (and details of the up and coming v3) can be found at:

http://www.nevrona.com

They also offer a Mailing List.

BTW I am an official member of Nevrona's volunteer support group...

--
Glenn Crouch e...@gold.net.au
Manager Software Development

David Kroll <david.kr...@tdcj.state.tx.us> wrote in message

>I know I will get several different answers with this question, but will
>you please tell me what the best report printing component for Delphi 4
>is?

>Thanks,

>David K.

Re:The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

David,  take a look at Reportbuilder.

In my opinion, It's the best reportWriter available for Delphi.

It's really powerful, very easy to use and the tecnical support  is
excellent.

Download the trial version on www.digital-metaphors.com and you'll not
be disappointed.

Regards
Marcio C. Santos

David Kroll escreveu na mensagem
<3635FEE3.4C48E...@tdcj.state.tx.us>...

>I know I will get several different answers with this question, but
will
>you please tell me what the best report printing component for Delphi
4
>is?

>Thanks,

>David K.

Re:The Best Report Printing Component for Delphi 4

David,

I use Report Builder for my designed reports but ship Shazam for end-user
reports. RB Pro does have an end-user designer but I had Shazam first which has
a QBE interface which (once they have mastered the idea of relationships) my
users can use at their leisure.

RB also have their own newsgroup news.digital-metaphors.com. It is always
reassuring to have access to peer support.

Pat Bell

Other Threads