can this happen

i have an app being run by about 25-30 users. Everything was going fine
up to a few weeks ago and now every so often it comes back with an error
'corrupt file other than header....' on one of the tables that is
used/edited most often.but if u quit the app and go back in and say run
that same query again its fine
What we've noticed is that this seems to coincide with the fact that
since we increased the users on the network that the cableing seems to
be takeing a beeting in that there seem to be lots and lots of
collisions. what i'am trying to say is that could the busy network and
all these collisions be corrupting the table in some way