Rave Reports v Quick Reports

Hello,

I would like some feedback on anyone using the new Rave reports who
have previously used QuickReports. I have been having a little trouble
testing out Rave. I am finding it very difficult and time consuming to
fathom how to create a useful data based report. Can anyone give me :-

1. A list of places to look inorder to give me a handle on the process
of building a Rave report for data.

2. Some feedback comparing the pros and cons of Rave verses
QuickReports.

For myself one of the things that was a plus about Quick Reports was
the fact that it used a form (dfm) file and is entirely native delphi
code. This is not neccessarily a complete winning argument but could
any interested developers offer reasons why Rave is more complete or
offers other advantages. I realise that Quick Reports on one level has
always been slightly unpredictable in places and rather fiddly
especially when building larger and more complex reports.

This question is not intended to be devisive but I would like to
garner info about others experiences.

Thanks,

Jeff Holbrook

Re:Rave Reports v Quick Reports

I would suggest that you visit the b.p.d.thirdpartytools.ravereports newsgroup.

Also, it would help to confirm what version of Delphi you are using. If it is Delphi 7, then the first question is "Have you updated RaveReports. The 5.0.8 update for Rave BE (the Delphi 7 bundled version) is now available for download from Borland's registered users download page at http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_delphi.html (click on the Updates link for version 7)

Jim Dodson
Nevrona Designs

Jim Dodson wrote:
> I would suggest that you visit the b.p.d.thirdpartytools.ravereports newsgroup.

> Also, it would help to confirm what version of Delphi you are using. If it is Delphi 7, then the first question is "Have you updated RaveReports. The 5.0.8 update for Rave BE (the Delphi 7 bundled version) is now available for download from Borland's registered users download page at http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_delphi.html (click on the Updates link for version 7)

> Jim Dodson
> Nevrona Designs

Since you bring it up, when I run the "update" executable, I am told to
"uninstall" rave from delphi by using the windows/setting/add/remove
software.  When I tried to step through this maze (remember I am slow),
the choice seemed to change or remove, I chose change and it started the
installation program.  What am I doing wrong??  I really don't want to
install Delphi (including patches) more than once.

Re:Rave Reports v Quick Reports

Hi Jeff,
In the past I created my print output with Quick Report too.
Now I have Delphi 7 and I tested Rave Reporting...

But I decided to use Fast Report (see www.fast-report.com) instead of Rave
Reporting because:
- Fast Report is easier to use
- smaller footprint than Rave
- better documentation
- very nice preview component
- Rave does not support charts directly
- I had some access violations in the Rave script editor
- No source code of Rave Reporting

Advantages of Rave Reporting:
- Fast support here in the forum
- PDF export filter
- One Rarve project file for all reports

Cheers,
Stefan

Other Threads