Any Comments about Advantage???

Alan,

Alan Abery wrote in message <6vdse6$k...@forums.borland.com>...
>Does anyone have any thoughts/Comments, good or bad, on the Advantage
>products produced by Extended Systems.  In particular the TDataset
>descendant, the BDE Replacement, and their Client Server package?

>The main reason why we would possibly use Advantage is because it supports
>dBase III files with CDX indexing on both local and client server
>environments.

>Any and all comments welcome.

We've been using ADS via their ODBC driver and it appears to work quite
well.  The only problem that we ran into was the speed of a max(*) selection
which seemed to take much longer than it should.  We chose to go throughout
the ODBC driver because we wanted to support multiple data platforms with
the same code and it was the only method that they provided at the time that
supported SQL.  I have not had a chance to look at the BDE replacement for
the current release, so my opinions refer to one release back.

As for the company itself, they have been more than supportive from the
sales and tech support side.

---------------------------------------
Terry Swiers
Millennium Software, LLC

Atrex Inventory Control/POS -
   '96, '97, '98 - Ziff-Davis/PC Magazine Shareware Award Finalist

http://www.1000years.com

---------------------------------------

Re:Any Comments about Advantage???

Does anyone have any thoughts/Comments, good or bad, on the Advantage
products produced by Extended Systems.  In particular the TDataset
descendant, the BDE Replacement, and their Client Server package?

The main reason why we would possibly use Advantage is because it supports
dBase III files with CDX indexing on both local and client server
environments.

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks
Alan Abery