Pulling info from a Serial Port

Currently we have system that prints directly to a printer, using a serial
port, everytime someone in our organization gets paged through our beeper
system.  I need to write a program that connects to this port and instead of
printing to a printer, it inserts the information to a text file.  Does
Delphi have any components that can connect to a serial port?  Would a
Client Socket work for this?  Any suggestions or help would be very
greatful!  Thanks in advanced.

Nicole

Re:Pulling info from a Serial Port

Nicole,
  have a look at
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=writing+to+a+serial+port+delphi

The TClientSocket will not help you with this. There are components available
(see http://www.torry.net/ or http://community.borland.com/homepages/dsp/ )
however I would suggest using the winapi calls yourself. If you do elect to use
a component make sure that it uses the win32 api to communicate with the serial
port, otherwise your application may not work on NT/2K/XP.

Cheers,
  Gardner

"Nicole Krueger" <NicoleKrue...@meritcare.com> schreef in bericht

> Currently we have system that prints directly to a printer, using a serial
> port, everytime someone in our organization gets paged through our beeper
> system.  I need to write a program that connects to this port and instead
of
> printing to a printer, it inserts the information to a text file.  Does
> Delphi have any components that can connect to a serial port?  Would a
> Client Socket work for this?  Any suggestions or help would be very
> greatful!  Thanks in advanced.

> Nicole

You can download TComport from my website.
Free, all source + example included.

--
Regards,

Dirk Claessens
http://users.pandora.be/dirk.claessens2
Attention: All spamshields raised; E-mails will bounce!