Board index » delphi » Virtual listview, listbox, et al

Virtual listview, listbox, et al

For academic reasons, I would like to be able to create a listview
(pref) to view the contents of a very large log file.  I want to do
this by making the listview virtual, so my machines memory isn't
consumed.  Does anyone have an example of this or some pointers?  I
have searched the news and the demos and have found nothing except the
treeview, but that confused me more, since it dealt with the shell.

Brandon
-----
To respond via email, be sure to remove "nospam_" from email address.

 

Re:Virtual listview, listbox, et al


In article <6q5k9s8n28gr7qfic0v71gusnp7rvsr...@4ax.com>, Brandon Lilly
wrote:

Quote
> I want to do
> this by making the listview virtual, so my machines memory isn't
> consumed.  Does anyone have an example of this

Have you looked at \Delphi\Demos\Virtual ListView ?

 Mike Orriss (TeamB)
 (Unless stated otherwise, my replies relate to Delphi 4.03/5.00)
 (Unsolicited e-mail replies will most likely be ignored)

Re:Virtual listview, listbox, et al


On Fri, 04 Feb 2000 07:50:11 GMT, "Mike Orriss (TeamB)"

Quote
<m...@3kcc.co.uk> wrote:
>Have you looked at \Delphi\Demos\Virtual ListView ?

Yeah, and it used a bunch of shell stuff that confused the hell out of
me.  I am wanting to see any sample (or whatever) that discusses
having a real-time view of an updating log file, with a virtual
listview.  I continue to look at the demo, but nothing is becoming
very clear.  

Just hoping someone would have a sample of what I was looking for,
since it seems to me to be a fairly common topic.

Brandon
-----
To respond via email, be sure to remove "nospam_" from email address.

Re:Virtual listview, listbox, et al


I created one in ViewStyle=vsReport and all I needed was the
OnData event.  Also you must set OwnerData to True.  The
other events are cool but are not necessarily needed,
depending on what you are doing.

OnData is where you tell the TListView where to get the data
when it needs to find it.  For example, if your data is
stored in a TStringList called Strings, then put this code
in the OnData event:

Item.Caption:=Strings[Item.Index];

Also, you must tell the TListView how many Items there are
(in your file in your case).  For example (in my case):

Items.Count:=Strings.Count;

This is a very simple example but it should get you started.

Lance Olvey

Quote
Brandon Lilly <nospam_avar...@swbell.net> wrote in message

news:8eol9s8iiopui58eg4i4iu9hdgvckgs3b4@4ax.com...
Quote
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2000 07:50:11 GMT, "Mike Orriss (TeamB)"
> <m...@3kcc.co.uk> wrote:
> >Have you looked at \Delphi\Demos\Virtual ListView ?

> Yeah, and it used a bunch of shell stuff that confused the
hell out of
> me.  I am wanting to see any sample (or whatever) that
discusses
> having a real-time view of an updating log file, with a
virtual
> listview.  I continue to look at the demo, but nothing is
becoming
> very clear.

> Just hoping someone would have a sample of what I was
looking for,
> since it seems to me to be a fairly common topic.

> Brandon
> -----
> To respond via email, be sure to remove "nospam_" from

email address.

Re:Virtual listview, listbox, et al


You can try for these purposes TFlyTreeView Rapid Edition
(http://www.imcasys.com/flytree.htm)- (100% Delphi VCL (not MsTreeView
shell), fastest tree in the world) which have a columns which can work in
virtual mode

Quote
Brandon Lilly <nospam_avar...@swbell.net> wrote in message

news:6q5k9s8n28gr7qfic0v71gusnp7rvsrdq3@4ax.com...
Quote
> For academic reasons, I would like to be able to create a listview
> (pref) to view the contents of a very large log file.  I want to do
> this by making the listview virtual, so my machines memory isn't
> consumed.  Does anyone have an example of this or some pointers?  I
> have searched the news and the demos and have found nothing except the
> treeview, but that confused me more, since it dealt with the shell.

> Brandon
> -----
> To respond via email, be sure to remove "nospam_" from email address.

Other Threads