BDE Not Being Installed With Install Shield Express

   I have tried several times to output my desktop database application
without success, using Install Shield Express.  I am using Paradox tables
and queries so I am doing a full BDE install (maybe this isn't required).
When I finish the process I can run the full program on the computer it was
developed on.  But, when I install the disks on another machine I receive a
BDE error that there is an INVALID FILE NAME.  When I enter the Alias and
path information in Install Shield Express I am using the path information
on the development machine.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Do I need the full
BDE install, or could this be causing my problem?  Thanks

Re:BDE Not Being Installed With Install Shield Express

Am I required to purchase another program to install the BDE on my
development machine, which allows me to output programs using the BDE?
Since this is a desktop application which uses queries I am still unsure if
I need to use a BDE install.  But, I know that the tables are not being
copied.

Thanks

Helen Shigley <Wshig...@in-touch.net> wrote in message

>    I have tried several times to output my desktop database application
> without success, using Install Shield Express.  I am using Paradox tables
> and queries so I am doing a full BDE install (maybe this isn't required).
> When I finish the process I can run the full program on the computer it
was
> developed on.  But, when I install the disks on another machine I receive
> BDE error that there is an INVALID FILE NAME.  When I enter the Alias and
> path information in Install Shield Express I am using the path information
> on the development machine.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Do I need the
full
> BDE install, or could this be causing my problem?  Thanks

Re:BDE Not Being Installed With Install Shield Express

Good luck.  InstallShield was one problem after another for me.  From not
being able to install the BDE, to writing garbage out to the files it was
installing.

I use INF-Tools for installation and it seems to work pretty good.

Iman

Re:BDE Not Being Installed With Install Shield Express

Are you creating an alias as part of the installation and hard coding the
path the alias points to? If so, you must make sure that directory exists on
the machine you are installing to. If the alias should point to the
directory the program files are being installed to you need to use one of
the InstallShield variables to make sure the alias points to the directory
the user actually installs to.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE Not Being Installed With Install Shield Express

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:22:55 -0500, "Helen Shigley"

<Wshig...@in-touch.net> wrote:
>Am I required to purchase another program to install the BDE on my
>development machine, which allows me to output programs using the BDE?
>Since this is a desktop application which uses queries I am still unsure if
>I need to use a BDE install.  But, I know that the tables are not being
>copied.
>Helen Shigley <Wshig...@in-touch.net> wrote in message
>>    I have tried several times to output my desktop database application
>> without success, using Install Shield Express.  I am using Paradox tables
>> and queries so I am doing a full BDE install (maybe this isn't required).
>> When I finish the process I can run the full program on the computer it
>> was developed on.  But, when I install the disks on another machine I receive
>> a BDE error that there is an INVALID FILE NAME.  When I enter the Alias and
>> path information in Install Shield Express I am using the path information
>> on the development machine.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Do I need the
>> full BDE install, or could this be causing my problem?

1) Which version of Delphi are you using?
2) Which version of ISX are you using?
3) Which version of the BDE are you installing?

If the BDE is an upgraded version compared to the original one for
which ISX was supplied, the install scripts may have to be altered, or
extra files added to make the old ISX function with the new BDE.

Regards,
Chris Roberts

Re:BDE Not Being Installed With Install Shield Express

The path information you should enter is the desired alias path on the
target computer. Something like this:

<installdir>/data

When the setup program runs, an alias is created pointing to
<installdir>/data. Of course, <installdir> is replaced by the actual path
where the user installed your application.

You don't need any other software.

Helen Shigley wrote in message <87vijo$d...@bornews.borland.com>...
>   I have tried several times to output my desktop database application
>without success, using Install Shield Express.  I am using Paradox tables
>and queries so I am doing a full BDE install (maybe this isn't required).
>When I finish the process I can run the full program on the computer it was
>developed on.  But, when I install the disks on another machine I receive a
>BDE error that there is an INVALID FILE NAME.  When I enter the Alias and
>path information in Install Shield Express I am using the path information
>on the development machine.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Do I need the
full
>BDE install, or could this be causing my problem?  Thanks

Other Threads