Board index » delphi » SQL 6.5/ODBC/D2/BDE/Memo field issue

SQL 6.5/ODBC/D2/BDE/Memo field issue

Hi,
I'm having some troubles with accessing memo fields from MS SQL 6.5 SP2.
I have this problem with both Delphi 2.0 Developer and IntraBuilder
1.5 Pro.

It seems like a problem of BDE/ODBC connectivity. When I'm trying to
activate either TQuery or TTable that has linked TMemo component
on the form, I'm getting the error:  General SQL error.[Microsoft][ODBC
Driver Manager] Invalid parameter type.
Category 51
Error code 13059
Sub code 3
Trying to access the memo field using SQL explorer gives me 'Memo too
large' error, although all my data in memo fields is smaller than 1Kb.

It works fine only with MS SQL ODBC 2.65 and BDE 3.5 under Windows95, NT
fails.
ODBC 3.5 gives me the aforementioned error in both 95 and NT.
BDE 4.0 + SQL Links combination from IntraBuilder package gives me the
same problem.

Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks,

Boris
bor...@iname.com

 

Re:SQL 6.5/ODBC/D2/BDE/Memo field issue


Quote
In article <34A7D4C7.94E1D...@iname.com>, Boris Zhilin wrote:
> I'm having some troubles with accessing memo fields from MS SQL 6.5 SP2.

MS has acknowledged serious problems with SP2.  I suggest you get SP3 and
the post SP3 hotfixes.

Re:SQL 6.5/ODBC/D2/BDE/Memo field issue


Thanks, but SP3 doesn't help.

Quote
Scott Samet [TeamB] wrote:
> In article <34A7D4C7.94E1D...@iname.com>, Boris Zhilin wrote:

> > I'm having some troubles with accessing memo fields from MS SQL 6.5 SP2.

> MS has acknowledged serious problems with SP2.  I suggest you get SP3 and
> the post SP3 hotfixes.

Re:SQL 6.5/ODBC/D2/BDE/Memo field issue


Delphi2 had problems accessing memo fields, such problems are corrected in
Delphi3.  You should also upgrade MS SQL Server to SP3 (SP4 also just
became available), since SP3 corrects some problems handling inserts and
updates to memo fields in SQL Server.  Good luck.
Gene

Boris Zhilin <bor...@iname.com> wrote in article
<34A8DD75.F190...@iname.com>...

Quote
> Thanks, but SP3 doesn't help.

> Scott Samet [TeamB] wrote:

> > In article <34A7D4C7.94E1D...@iname.com>, Boris Zhilin wrote:

> > > I'm having some troubles with accessing memo fields from MS SQL 6.5
SP2.

> > MS has acknowledged serious problems with SP2.  I suggest you get SP3
and
> > the post SP3 hotfixes.

Re:SQL 6.5/ODBC/D2/BDE/Memo field issue


Thanks. The problem was with BDE 3.0 that comes with Delphi 2.0. Upgrading to
BDE 3.5
and MS SQL SP3 helped. That's for ODBC 2.65.

Quote
Gene wrote:
> Delphi2 had problems accessing memo fields, such problems are corrected in
> Delphi3.  You should also upgrade MS SQL Server to SP3 (SP4 also just
> became available), since SP3 corrects some problems handling inserts and
> updates to memo fields in SQL Server.  Good luck.
> Gene

> Boris Zhilin <bor...@iname.com> wrote in article
> <34A8DD75.F190...@iname.com>...
> > Thanks, but SP3 doesn't help.

> > Scott Samet [TeamB] wrote:

> > > In article <34A7D4C7.94E1D...@iname.com>, Boris Zhilin wrote:

> > > > I'm having some troubles with accessing memo fields from MS SQL 6.5
> SP2.

> > > MS has acknowledged serious problems with SP2.  I suggest you get SP3
> and
> > > the post SP3 hotfixes.

Re:SQL 6.5/ODBC/D2/BDE/Memo field issue


I'm having a similar problem.

It happens when using a TDBMemo (attached trhough a TTable) component in
Delphi 3 CS, for a 'text'-datatype in a SQLserver 6.5 table.
As long as I don't fill the Memo, it's OK. As soon as I type something
and save the record, I can't open the table anymore with the very vague
error: General SQL error.

I'm going to try with the latest versions like mentioned in above
messages, but any suggestions are welcome.

Do I not have to use READTEXT, WRITETEXT SQL-commands ?

Thanks,
Hugo

Other Threads