IE & DDE (or OLE, or ActiveX, or...)

There's a free component at DSP that gets current URL and the HTML page
title from Netscape, as well as directs Netscape to a new location. Alas,
the component comes without source; all I know is it uses DDE. I'd like to
be able to do the same with IE (4.x, and hopefully 3.x) but I've been
unable to find documentation on what methods the IE object supports. I know
that using OLE Automation, I can do stuff like

var
        IE : Variant;
begin
    IE := CreateOleObject( 'InternetExplorer.Application' );
    IE.Navigate( TheUrl );
end

...but I don't know what *else* I can do with the 'IE' object in this case
besides 'Navigate'. Code completion does not work for this. Are all thse
(or just the basic) methods documented somewhere on the Web? I've been
reduced to scanning the DLL files for likely method names (if the file
contained 'Navigate', it might also have 'GetURL'; homegrown heuristics :)
but this has been fruitless.

TIA,

.marek

--
General Frenetics, Discorporated: http://www.lodz.pdi.net/~eristic/
If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.

Re:IE & DDE (or OLE, or ActiveX, or...)

In article: <36ceb29f.5874...@news.nask.org.pl>  eris...@lodz.pdi.net (marek jedlinski)
writes:

> There's a free component at DSP that gets current URL and the HTML page
> title from Netscape, as well as directs Netscape to a new location. Alas,
> the component comes without source; all I know is it uses DDE. I'd like to
> be able to do the same with IE (4.x, and hopefully 3.x) but I've been
> unable to find documentation on what methods the IE object supports. I know
> that using OLE Automation, I can do stuff like

> var
>    IE : Variant;
> begin
>     IE := CreateOleObject( 'InternetExplorer.Application' );
>     IE.Navigate( TheUrl );
> end
> ...but I don't know what *else* I can do with the 'IE' object in this case
> besides 'Navigate'. Code completion does not work for this. Are all thse

Code completion doesn't work unless you import the tlb file for the OLE automation
server. I can't remember exactly how this is done and don't have D3 or D4 in front of me.
the TLB file describes the methods and properties of the server and Delphi builds a
pascal file that allows compile time binding and code completion. However compile time
binding doesn't make much difference to the performance of out-of-process servers not
that you need performance anyway.

> (or just the basic) methods documented somewhere on the Web? I've been
> reduced to scanning the DLL files for likely method names (if the file
> contained 'Navigate', it might also have 'GetURL'; homegrown heuristics :)
> but this has been fruitless.

COM objects are not exposed in the traditional DLL way. All you'll see is canunload and
one or two others.

> TIA,

> .marek

> --
> General Frenetics, Discorporated: http://www.lodz.pdi.net/~eristic/
> If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.

--

Greg Lorriman co. inc. & sons Ltd

Other Threads