"Invalid Blob Length" -SQL server 6.5

I've run into a problem when writing binary data to a blob (image) field
in SQLServer 6.5. As long as the data is < 32k, everythings fine. If I
try to write more than 32k I get an application error with this
message:  "EDBEngineError Invalid Blob Length"

I'm writing to the field with TBlobStream.write(buf,sizeof(buf)) and
like I said, as long as I don't go over the 32k it works fine.  I found
a mention of this problem at

www.borland.com/devsupport/sqllinks/pub-24.html  where they say:

MICROSOFT SQL DRIVER
USING BLOBS GREATER THAN 32K IN SIZE
For tables without a unique index, blobs greater than 32k in
size cannot be used. For tables with unique indexes this is
allowed but, under certain circumstances, placing or retrieving
blobs greater than 32k in size may result in a server error that
indicates the server is trying to unlock a data page that is
already unlocked. This is a problem on the server side and not
SQL Links.

I have a primary key AND a unique index and I still can't get past this.
Any insights appreciated

--
dan lewis