HELP: Infinite loop in Delphi 1.0 IDE under NT 4.0

I'm running Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0 (I have users on Win3.n to support) and
things have been going fine up until now.

When building a fairly big application (exe is 990K+, with no debug
symbols), the Delphi 1.0 IDE goes into an infinite loop (CPU intensive)
after the link is completed. That is, I get the dialog which reports
compile progress and then link progress. When it is finished I hit OK and
then it goes into the loop. This is the place where, under Windows 3.n, D1
would be unresponsive for a few seconds after the OK button was hit
(presumably tidying up).

It's not a matter of just waiting .. I left this running one lunchtime and
it was still going an hour or so later.

I've tried the obvious things viz:
a) turned optimise for size and load time off ... no change
b) made sure it was linking to disk (it always was)
c) moved all sources from original network drive to local hard disk, in
case the network was getting in the way ... it wasn't

I finally resorted to the command line compiler, which worked, so I have my
workaround, but I would like to get this solved.

Anyone got any clues?

--
Regards, Stephen Walter

Re:HELP: Infinite loop in Delphi 1.0 IDE under NT 4.0

Stephen Walter <walt...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<01bc3355$84694720$46fd06cb@malone>...

> I'm running Delphi 1.0 under NT 4.0 (I have users on Win3.n to support)
and
> things have been going fine up until now.

> When building a fairly big application (exe is 990K+, with no debug
> symbols), the Delphi 1.0 IDE goes into an infinite loop (CPU intensive)
> after the link is completed. That is, I get the dialog which reports
> compile progress and then link progress. When it is finished I hit OK and
> then it goes into the loop. This is the place where, under Windows 3.n,
D1
> would be unresponsive for a few seconds after the OK button was hit
> (presumably tidying up).

<snip>

Whoops ... I fixed my own problem.

It turns out (while casting my mind back to what might have changed since
it worked) that I changed the shortcut to Delphi 1.0 IDE to "Run in own
memory space". I though this was the safe thing to do, but it turns out to
be what caused my infinite loop.

Just reinforces that ol' adage .. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sorry in advance for consuming any of yoru think time unnecessarily.

--

"Stephen Walter" <walt...@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> Whoops ... I fixed my own problem.

> It turns out (while casting my mind back to what might have changed since
> it worked) that I changed the shortcut to Delphi 1.0 IDE to "Run in own
> memory space". I though this was the safe thing to do, but it turns out to
> be what caused my infinite loop.

> Just reinforces that ol' adage .. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

> Sorry in advance for consuming any of yoru think time unnecessarily.

Why sorry?  You told _me_ something I hadn't come across before.

--
Matt Francomb, Setanta Software Ltd

Other Threads