Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

Hi,

I have a few very simple questions for you lots about Delphi 2.
Is it still usefull to learn Delphi2 ?

Last week, I was walking around in Belfast when I saw a computer book
sale 3 pounds sterling each.  Usually, these sales have nothing of
interest, only the like of "Idiot guide to MS-Words" but surprisingly,
there were some interesting advanced books if only slightly out of
date.

So, among others, I grabbed a 3" thick book on Delphi2, printed in
1996. I thought although it is an older version, it should still be
useful and I had heard good things about Delphi.  Now coincidently,
this week, I looked at computer mags at the newsagent and one of them
is including a personal full version of Delphi2 on its cover disk
(i.e. for personal use only, license doesn't allow to sell programs,
still good learning tools).  Anyway, all that to say that there seem
to be a global {*word*97} for me to learn Delphi2 :-)

Now, my question: Am I wasting my time learning the version 2 ?

Did Delphi incur major changes since then?   Should I rather pay full
price for a new book and Delphi4 to learn from them?

My reasoning when I bought the book was that for 3 pounds, I could
hardly loose but I was just wondering if someone could confirm that
learning version 2 will still be useful in the context of future
possible development on a v4 or v5 be it for private or professional
use.

Thanks in advance.

Yannick Tremblay
y...@eng.cam.ac.uk
--
Y. Tremblay

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

No, Delphi is Delphi, your book D2 is good for learning.
The only difference between D2 and D4 is that D4 has more possibilities.

ps: Only Delphi 1 is a little bit different (16 bit)

Rudy
Y. Tremblay wwrote:

> Hi,

> I have a few very simple questions for you lots about Delphi 2.
> Is it still usefull to learn Delphi2 ?

> Last week, I was walking around in Belfast when I saw a computer book
> sale 3 pounds sterling each.  Usually, these sales have nothing of
> interest, only the like of "Idiot guide to MS-Words" but surprisingly,
> there were some interesting advanced books if only slightly out of
> date.

> So, among others, I grabbed a 3" thick book on Delphi2, printed in
> 1996. I thought although it is an older version, it should still be
> useful and I had heard good things about Delphi.  Now coincidently,
> this week, I looked at computer mags at the newsagent and one of them
> is including a personal full version of Delphi2 on its cover disk
> (i.e. for personal use only, license doesn't allow to sell programs,
> still good learning tools).  Anyway, all that to say that there seem
> to be a global {*word*97} for me to learn Delphi2 :-)

> Now, my question: Am I wasting my time learning the version 2 ?

> Did Delphi incur major changes since then?   Should I rather pay full
> price for a new book and Delphi4 to learn from them?

> My reasoning when I bought the book was that for 3 pounds, I could
> hardly loose but I was just wondering if someone could confirm that
> learning version 2 will still be useful in the context of future
> possible development on a v4 or v5 be it for private or professional
> use.

> Thanks in advance.

> Yannick Tremblay
> y...@eng.cam.ac.uk
> --
> Y. Tremblay

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

> Now, my question: Am I wasting my time learning the version 2 ?

No

> Did Delphi incur major changes since then?

Yes

>Should I rather pay full price for a new book and Delphi4 to learn from

them?

It depends on what money actually costs you.

> I was just wondering if someone could confirm that
> learning version 2 will still be useful in the context of future
> possible development on a v4 or v5 be it for private or professional
> use.

I confirm, D4 is not that much different from D2 (less bugs(?), more
possibilities)

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

Hi Yannick,

Learning Delphi 2 would be extremely useful for you.  Almost all of the
syntax between Delhpi 2 and Delphi 3 and Delphi 4 is the same.  The
differences are mostly reflected in the IDE or the environment in which you
write code and the way components are maintained. Thus, the look and feel
between the versions is different but for the most part the code syntax is
still the same.  There are some differences in the ancestor objects for Data
Sets but they are virtually transparent to the developer.  Of course the
latter versions have more features than Delphi 2 but you can learn 99% of
what you need in Delphi 2.

Thanks,
Earl Reddell
Res-cue (Resourceful Components for User Ease!)
Check out our web site: http://www.res-cue.com

In article <7dqf1v$dh...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
  y...@eng.cam.ac.uk (Y. Tremblay) wrote:

> Hi,

> I have a few very simple questions for you lots about Delphi 2.
> Is it still usefull to learn Delphi2 ?

> Last week, I was walking around in Belfast when I saw a computer book
> sale 3 pounds sterling each.  Usually, these sales have nothing of
> interest, only the like of "Idiot guide to MS-Words" but surprisingly,
> there were some interesting advanced books if only slightly out of
> date.

> So, among others, I grabbed a 3" thick book on Delphi2, printed in
> 1996. I thought although it is an older version, it should still be
> useful and I had heard good things about Delphi.  Now coincidently,
> this week, I looked at computer mags at the newsagent and one of them
> is including a personal full version of Delphi2 on its cover disk
> (i.e. for personal use only, license doesn't allow to sell programs,
> still good learning tools).  Anyway, all that to say that there seem
> to be a global {*word*97} for me to learn Delphi2 :-)

> Now, my question: Am I wasting my time learning the version 2 ?

> Did Delphi incur major changes since then?   Should I rather pay full
> price for a new book and Delphi4 to learn from them?

> My reasoning when I bought the book was that for 3 pounds, I could
> hardly loose but I was just wondering if someone could confirm that
> learning version 2 will still be useful in the context of future
> possible development on a v4 or v5 be it for private or professional
> use.

> Thanks in advance.

> Yannick Tremblay
> y...@eng.cam.ac.uk
> --
> Y. Tremblay

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

In article <7dqf1v$dh...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>

y...@eng.cam.ac.uk (Y. Tremblay) wrote:

> Hi,

> I have a few very simple questions for you lots about Delphi 2.
> Is it still usefull to learn Delphi2 ?

Certainly. Some professional developers still use Delphi 2.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro v5.00 for Win32
     ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/install/chief500.zip

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

I only used it for about 2 days, but I think Delphi 2, considering it's
free, is useful to find out whether you have a use for a language such as
Delphi, and how it's going to help you (which is a lot).  Learn Delphi 2,
and then you should have an easier time learning all of the newer components
in later versions of Delphi.  You might want to hold back enough for Delphi
5.

--
Tags
--------

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

Delphi 2 is free? Where can I get it?

Ronan

Change null to nl in my eMail address to reply

Ronan wrote in message <7dt3ig$ep...@news2.symantec.com>...
>Delphi 2 is free? Where can I get it?

It has appeared on several PC  magazine cover CDs
in the past, which effectively places it in the public domain,
but there might be a restrictive license on these copies (like
you can't sell the apps you develop). If you live in Europe,
try some of the popular magazine websites for
back issues, (not sure about the US, but I guess it's the
same).

--
Jeremy Collins-

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

In article <7dt3ig$ep...@news2.symantec.com>

"Ronan" <ro...@{*word*104}tech.demon.null> wrote:
> Delphi 2 is free? Where can I get it?

Several editions of PC Plus (UK) had it on their cover CDs in
1998. The latest editio (May 1999) even has Borland C++ Builder 3.0
(and a copy of RedHat Linux 5.2) on cover CDs.

Best regards, The Chief
--------

Jeremy Collins wrote in message

<922883966.19698.1.nnrp-09.c2de6...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>... but there might be a restrictive license on these copies (like
>you can't sell the apps you develop).

Borland's stipulation is that you can't "deploy" any compiled applications
made with the free versions of Delphi 2 or Borland C++ 3. Does anyone know
enough legalise to say whether this restricts freeware distribution as well,
or does it apply only to programs distributed on a commercial basis?

David Burgess wrote in message ...

>Jeremy Collins wrote in message
><922883966.19698.1.nnrp-09.c2de6...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>>... but there might be a restrictive license on these copies (like
>>you can't sell the apps you develop).

>Borland's stipulation is that you can't "deploy" any compiled applications
>made with the free versions of Delphi 2 or Borland C++ 3. Does anyone know
>enough legalise to say whether this restricts freeware distribution as
well,
>or does it apply only to programs distributed on a commercial basis?

My understanding of "deploy" is that it applies to any
program- free or otherwise. After all, you "deploy" an
application when you give it to any other user within
your own company!

I'd be interested to hear a law experts view, too.

--
Jeremy Collins

Ronan wrote:
> Delphi 2 is free? Where can I get it?

> Ronan

> --
> Change null to nl in my eMail address to reply

> Tags wrote in message <7dr0su$gi...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> >I only used it for about 2 days, but I think Delphi 2, considering it's
> >free, is useful to find out whether you have a use for a language such as
> >Delphi, and how it's going to help you (which is a lot).  Learn Delphi 2,
> >and then you should have an easier time learning all of the newer
> components
> >in later versions of Delphi.  You might want to hold back enough for Delphi
> >5.

> >--
> >Tags
> >--------
> >Remove DIESPAM to reply
> >--
> >"The hand you hold is the hand that holds you down"

Although you can't easily get the same free Delphi or C++ Builder that is on the
covers of British magazines in the US (I did, but only Barnes and Noble carry
the magazines), you can dowload an almost full featured Delphi and C++ Builder
at:

http://www.32bit.com/software/listings/Development/Special/

Ronan wrote:
> Delphi 2 is free? Where can I get it?

> Ronan

> --
> Change null to nl in my eMail address to reply

> Tags wrote in message <7dr0su$gi...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> >I only used it for about 2 days, but I think Delphi 2, considering it's
> >free, is useful to find out whether you have a use for a language such as
> >Delphi, and how it's going to help you (which is a lot).  Learn Delphi 2,
> >and then you should have an easier time learning all of the newer
> components
> >in later versions of Delphi.  You might want to hold back enough for Delphi
> >5.

> >--
> >Tags
> >--------
> >Remove DIESPAM to reply
> >--
> >"The hand you hold is the hand that holds you down"

Although you can't easily get the same free Delphi or C++ Builder that is on the
covers of British magazines in the US (I did, but only Barnes and Noble carry
the magazines), you can dowload an almost full featured Delphi and C++ Builder
at:

http://www.32bit.com/software/listings/Development/Special/

Re:Should I learn Delphi 2.0 ? (newbie question)

>> I have a few very simple questions for you lots about Delphi 2.
>> Is it still usefull to learn Delphi2 ?

Let me put forward my opinion. I am a newbie at Delphi. Wanted to
start learning with D4 and got the regularly recommended book, Sams
Teach Yourself Delphi 4 in 21 days. But the book isn't to my personal
liking and a friend of mine pass me a 'old' book, Lean Delphi 2
Database Programming Today by Jeff Cogswell. I can say I learn more
from the 'old' than the new book.
BTW, my interest is more toward Database and not the general stuff and
that may explain my choice.
kong
Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads