TWAIN scanning and USB port problem

I'm using EZTWAIN and although all works fine using a parallel port scanner,
it doesn't work with a USB scanner.  Seems EZTWAIN is having a problem with
the DataSource...it doesn't seem to recognize the scanner via USB.  Any
ideas?  I'm trying to avoid purchasing commercial TWAIN code.

Re:TWAIN scanning and USB port problem

In article <3b0da7b9_1@dnews>, Tundarum <tunda...@bluefrognet.net>
writes
>I'm using EZTWAIN and although all works fine using a parallel port scanner,
>it doesn't work with a USB scanner.  Seems EZTWAIN is having a problem with
>the DataSource...it doesn't seem to recognize the scanner via USB.  Any
>ideas?  I'm trying to avoid purchasing commercial TWAIN code.

What TWAIN device are you trying to acquire from?
I've used EZTWAIN with a DLink USB Camera and it works fine.
Maybe the drivers for your device aren't up to scratch?
Just a thought :)
--
zizzin

Re:TWAIN scanning and USB port problem

> What TWAIN device are you trying to acquire from?

HP Scanjet 5200c

> Maybe the drivers for your device aren't up to scratch?

I checked HP's web site for updated drivers and there is no update driver
for the Scanjet 5200c.

Obviously, EZTWAIN works with USB based on your experience...must be
something in my code that's causing the problem.  I don't understand TWAIN
well enough to troubleshoot the problem, but it appears that EZTWAIN is
having a problem with the TWAIN Data Source Manager.  Since my code works
with a parallel port scanner, you would think it would also work with a USB
scanner.  Something else that could be complicating the situation is that
the pc that the USB scanner is attached to has Dongle keys attached to the
printer port.  Don't know if this might be the problem or part of the
problem.

Re:TWAIN scanning and USB port problem

Does the USB scanner work "stand alone" ie. with its own User
Interface? Do you have an application from which you can scan (if not,
use Imaging which comes with W98 and maybe NT). Can you select the
(USB) twain source in that application?

At least this will check if the scanner is installed correctly. Can't
help with EZTWAIN, I have looked at it but not used it. However, I
don't think that the twain dll "knows" what bus the scanner is
connected to, that would be a driver function.

Bob
---
Sent using Virtual Access 5.01 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Re:TWAIN scanning and USB port problem

> Does the USB scanner work "stand alone" ie. with its own User
> Interface?

Yes

> However, I  don't think that the twain dll "knows" what bus the scanner is
> connected to, that would be a driver function.

Thank you, Bob, for the 'twain.dll not bus aware' insight...I suspected it
was a driver function to determine which bus the scanner is attached to.
I'm writing several little test programs using different 'freeware' and
'commercial' TWAIN code to determine which product works best or at all with
my client's HP Scanjet 5200c.  Unfortunately, my client lives an hour away
from me.  Fortunately, I just purchased pcAnywhere v10 and am in the process
of setting my client's pc as a pcAnywhere host so I don't have to drive to
his business every time I make a minor change or want to test some code.
This scanning problem is the last change/modification to this 6 month
project I've been working on.  I never would have been able to do it without
these ng's and people like you, Bob.  Much appreciated.

Lastly, I haven't had this much fun since the well went dry and Momma filled
it up with moonshine.

Other Threads