Please help -- urgent MDB recovery problem

One of my users today turned off his computer w/o closing the app (and
therefore the mdb) -- the app was dormant at the time.  When I turned the
computer back on I opened Access 97 to run a Repair and Compact, in that
order, and a few seconds into the Repair method Windows 98 crashed with a VX
... error.  Since I couldn't recover from the crash, I rebooted and on the
reboot it located two lost cluster chains, which I saved (only 4K).
Whenever I try and load the mdb into Access I get the following error (and
the file is not loaded):

'C:\[Path\filename].mdb' isn't an index in table.  Look in the Indexes
collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.

where [Path\filename] is just the description of the file.  Please someone
tell me that I am not completely screwed.  I have a backup which is a couple
of days old but I really don't want to lose the interim data.  I would not
think twice about paying someone to remedy the situation -- the file is
small (1.6meg zipped) so I can easily email it.  Please let me know,

Thanks,
Craig

Re:Please help -- urgent MDB recovery problem

Craig,
you may try the following method which I have used some time ago
succesfully:

make a copy of your damaged mdb
open it with a hex editor
open the working backup copy with a hex editor (in read-only mode or use a
copy)
compare each byte of the header (the first couple of screens full) and
correct the damaged mdb wherever necessary.

much luck
Lembit

Craig Spradling schrieb in Nachricht ...

>One of my users today turned off his computer w/o closing the app (and
>therefore the mdb) -- the app was dormant at the time.  When I turned the
>computer back on I opened Access 97 to run a Repair and Compact, in that
>order, and a few seconds into the Repair method Windows 98 crashed with a
VX
>... error.  Since I couldn't recover from the crash, I rebooted and on the
>reboot it located two lost cluster chains, which I saved (only 4K).
>Whenever I try and load the mdb into Access I get the following error (and
>the file is not loaded):

>'C:\[Path\filename].mdb' isn't an index in table.  Look in the Indexes
>collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.

>where [Path\filename] is just the description of the file.  Please someone
>tell me that I am not completely screwed.  I have a backup which is a
couple
>of days old but I really don't want to lose the interim data.  I would not
>think twice about paying someone to remedy the situation -- the file is
>small (1.6meg zipped) so I can easily email it.  Please let me know,

>Thanks,
>Craig

Re:Please help -- urgent MDB recovery problem

There is a simple solution that does not require a hex editor:

Download the Jet engine 3.51 update from MS at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/downloads/LNP126.asp?PR=ACC&FR=0...
B&M=S&

and use the JetComp utility.

Your problem was caused by a known bug in Jet 3.5 that is fixed by the
improved Compact process in Jet 3.51 that combines the Compact and Repair
processes.

Alden

Craig Spradling wrote in message ...
>One of my users today turned off his computer w/o closing the app (and
>therefore the mdb) -- the app was dormant at the time.  When I turned the
>computer back on I opened Access 97 to run a Repair and Compact, in that
>order, and a few seconds into the Repair method Windows 98 crashed with a
VX
>... error.  Since I couldn't recover from the crash, I rebooted and on the
>reboot it located two lost cluster chains, which I saved (only 4K).
>Whenever I try and load the mdb into Access I get the following error (and
>the file is not loaded):

>'C:\[Path\filename].mdb' isn't an index in table.  Look in the Indexes
>collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.

>where [Path\filename] is just the description of the file.  Please someone
>tell me that I am not completely screwed.  I have a backup which is a
couple
>of days old but I really don't want to lose the interim data.  I would not
>think twice about paying someone to remedy the situation -- the file is
>small (1.6meg zipped) so I can easily email it.  Please let me know,

>Thanks,
>Craig

Other Threads