What are the maximum numbers of connected users for Paradox?

How many can work at the same time on a Paradox database? Is it BDE or
Paradox who has the limit?
Jorgen Hellman

Re:What are the maximum numbers of connected users for Paradox?

I'll take the easy one, question #2.  As the number of simultaneous users
and the number and size of tables increases, you'll run into the limitations
of Paradox as a desktop database.  The BDE will let you scale your
application up to client/server and beyond if and when you run into problems
with Paradox.  Here's why your first question is difficult:  Imagine 16 reps
in customer service leisurely looking up client information while they chat
on the phone with the customer.  Now imagine 16 data entry clerks chugging
mocha java and keying in data so quickly you see only a blur of fingers when
you look at their keyboards.  So it's more a matter of the amount of
activity rather than the number of users.
Jorgen Hellman wrote in message <6vfitj$m...@forums.borland.com>...
>How many can work at the same time on a Paradox database? Is it BDE or
>Paradox who has the limit?
>Jorgen Hellman

Re:What are the maximum numbers of connected users for Paradox?

>How many can work at the same time on a Paradox database? Is it BDE or
>Paradox who has the limit?

This is not a simple question.  Theoreticaly the limit for logging into a
Paradox network control file is 300.  But you will find that performance is
unacceptable before you get that far.
The performance will depend on the kind of use you are make of tables with
querying being the most intensive and just viewing data the least intensave.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:What are the maximum numbers of connected users for Paradox?

The theoretical limit is much much higher than the practical limit which is
affected by table sizes, network speeds, number of simultaneous locks etc.

I have heard people happy with 16 users and others not happy with 3 or 4.
There are indications that suggest Paradox with 12 users will out perform
Acces with 12 users. I suspect each situation needs to be stress tested to
truly determine if Paradox will be adequate or inadequate for your needs.

Garry Kernan

Jorgen Hellman wrote in message <6vfitj$m...@forums.borland.com>...
>How many can work at the same time on a Paradox database? Is it BDE or
>Paradox who has the limit?
>Jorgen Hellman

Other Threads