forums.inprise.com going down...

To all users of forums.inprise.com,

This server is going to be brought down for some maintenance and
upgrades.  Over the next 24-48 hours you may experience some
interruption of service.  One of the possible side effects could be the
potential of the message ID references being changed.  While we do not
anticipate this happening, there may be a one time requirement to
re-download of all of the messages.  The only negative side will be the
loss of http://forumsearch.inprise.com:88 for an indefinite period of
time.  If you need to do any searching of messages on our newsgroups, I
would recommend looking to the searching tools provided by
http://www.deja.com and http://developers.href.com

The large benefit to all of this is the forums.inprise.com news server
should show a marked improvement in performance and reliability.

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank You,

John Frazier
Inprise/Borland Newsgroup Administrator

Re:forums.inprise.com going down...

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
"John Frazier (Borland)" wrote:
> To all users of forums.inprise.com,

> This server is going to be brought down for some maintenance and
> upgrades.  Over the next 24-48 hours you may experience some
> interruption of service.  One of the possible side effects could be the
> potential of the message ID references being changed.  While we do not
> anticipate this happening, there may be a one time requirement to
> re-download of all of the messages.  The only negative side will be the
> loss of http://forumsearch.inprise.com:88 for an indefinite period of
> time.  If you need to do any searching of messages on our newsgroups, I
> would recommend looking to the searching tools provided by
> http://www.deja.com and http://developers.href.com

> The large benefit to all of this is the forums.inprise.com news server
> should show a marked improvement in performance and reliability.

> I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

> Thank You,

> John Frazier
> Inprise/Borland Newsgroup Administrator

Re:forums.inprise.com going down...

Just as long as it doesn't come up named forums.corel.com!

"John Frazier (Borland)" wrote:

> I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

> Thank You,

   @
 _ \<_
(*)/(*)
-----------------------
BORLAND-COREL Kill The Deal (www.killthedeal.com)

Re:forums.inprise.com going down...

Yes, it means that forums is being moved to the DNews server and off of
Netscape.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Have you ever met a lady screaming angst potential?

Re:forums.inprise.com going down...

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:16:45 -0500, Mark Bracey

<red...@interaccess.com> wrote:
>Just as long as it doesn't come up named forums.corel.com!

Not quite yet, but ....

Eric

John Frazier (Borland) <jfraz...@borland.com> wrote in message

> I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

No inconvenience, I moved to the other choice awhile ago.  Should I be
moving back after the changes?
--
Please respond only in the newsgroup.  I will not respond
to newsgroup messages by e-mail.

Re:forums.inprise.com going down...

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:39:45 GMT, eeng...@zcsterling.com (Eric W.

Engler) wrote:
>>Just as long as it doesn't come up named forums.corel.com!

>Not quite yet, but ....

Doh, that's not fair;)

John Frazier (Inprise/Borland)

http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/disclaim.html

Re:forums.inprise.com going down...

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:55:49 -0500, "Mark Reichert"

<m...@messagelink.com> wrote:
>No inconvenience, I moved to the other choice awhile ago.  Should I be
>moving back after the changes?

The original "forums" server is a MUCH better machine in the first
place.  I guess there was some Netscape bug that was dependant upon
the file system we were using.  We kept upgrading the box and throwing
more RAM at it that you can imagine, to no avail.  Let me put it to
you this way, the news server box is one that ANY of us here would
love to replace any major appliance (refrigerator?) with.<bg>

John Frazier (Inprise/Borland) <supporti...@borland.com> wrote in message

> The original "forums" server is a MUCH better machine in the first
> place.   I guess there was some Netscape bug that was dependant upon
> the file system we were using.

That's what I've heard, but I was unwilling to move back as long as the
Netscape bug could still bite.

> We kept upgrading the box and throwing
> more RAM at it that you can imagine, to no avail.  Let me put it to
> you this way, the news server box is one that ANY of us here would
> love to replace any major appliance (refrigerator?) with.<bg>

Which just shows Borland was no more immune to the "throw hardware at it
instead of finding the software problem" mindset than we are from time to
time.<g>
--
Please respond only in the newsgroup.  I will not respond
to newsgroup messages by e-mail.

Other Threads