DBEEngineError: 'Another user changed the record'

I use Delphi 3.0 to update records in an Oracle 8.0 database.  Every now
and then, without an obvious reason, my program stops and returns a
DBEEngineError with the message 'Couldn't perform the edit because
another user changed the record'.  I am the only user manipulating the
database and have no idea what causes this error.  Could someone please
tell me what is the problem?

Thanks for your help,
Alwin.

Re:DBEEngineError: 'Another user changed the record'

Hi Alwin -

I can't give you an answer, but I've had the same thing happen to me when
I'm the only user -- but I was in database desktop.  I ran my program to
do a bunch of updates - exited it, and then loaded database desktop. I
noticed some fields had not been updated, so I went to manually edit them.
That's when I got the error - so it seems like it could be related to the
caching of updates *on the server*. This was with Oracle 7, also.

Alwin Loeckx wrote in message <3508750B.891C...@altavista.net>...
>I use Delphi 3.0 to update records in an Oracle 8.0 database.  Every now
>and then, without an obvious reason, my program stops and returns a
>DBEEngineError with the message 'Couldn't perform the edit because
>another user changed the record'.  I am the only user manipulating the
>database and have no idea what causes this error.  Could someone please
>tell me what is the problem?

>Thanks for your help,
>Alwin.

Re:DBEEngineError: 'Another user changed the record'

Alwin Loeckx wrote in message <3508750B.891C...@altavista.net>...
>I use Delphi 3.0 to update records in an Oracle 8.0 database.  Every now
>and then, without an obvious reason, my program stops and returns a
>DBEEngineError with the message 'Couldn't perform the edit because
>another user changed the record'.  I am the only user manipulating the
>database and have no idea what causes this error.  Could someone please
>tell me what is the problem?

>Thanks for your help,
>Alwin.

Alwin,
I am getting the same problem. It is a single user system.
I am using BDE 4.51 11/14/97, Delphi 3.02, Sybase SQL Anywhere, Sybase ODBC
Driver WOD50T.DDL 5.05.031666 8/21/97. I can't figure it out either. Anyone
with any ideas? All of the information that I can get from the message is
below.

----------------- Begin Exception -------------------------
Exception Class Name:EDBEngineError
Exception Message:Couldn't perform the edit because another user changed the
record.

Error Number: 0
Error Code:

03/15/1998 7:27:44 PM
Number of errors: 1

     Message# 1
  Error Code: 10259
    Category: 40
     SubCode: 19
Native Error: 0
     Message: Couldn't perform the edit because another user changed the
record.

------------------- End Exception -----------------------

Re:DBEEngineError: 'Another user changed the record'

Make sure you have a key field defined for the record.

Richard

Les Prigmore <lprigm...@mindspring.com> wrote in article
<6ei8f7$...@camel21.mindspring.com>...

> Alwin Loeckx wrote in message <3508750B.891C...@altavista.net>...
> >I use Delphi 3.0 to update records in an Oracle 8.0 database.  Every now
> >and then, without an obvious reason, my program stops and returns a
> >DBEEngineError with the message 'Couldn't perform the edit because
> >another user changed the record'.  I am the only user manipulating the
> >database and have no idea what causes this error.  Could someone please
> >tell me what is the problem?

> I am getting the same problem. It is a single user system.
> I am using BDE 4.51 11/14/97, Delphi 3.02, Sybase SQL Anywhere, Sybase
ODBC
> Driver WOD50T.DDL 5.05.031666 8/21/97. I can't figure it out either.
Anyone
> with any ideas? All of the information that I can get from the message is
> below.

Other Threads