Delphi4, MS-Access '97 InstallShield, ODBC

Hi,

I developed an application that uses an MS-Access'97 database. I've
established a connenction through the ODBC-driver and everything works fine.

My application and database needs to be installed on several other computers
so I want to use InstallShield to create some floppy's for me. I think that
the alias I create using the installshield is giving me problems (I've tried
several things but my application will not run on other computers). Is there
someone who knows how I can tell InstallShield to create an alias for a
MS-Access '97 database using ODBC for me?

thanks,
Michel

Re:Delphi4, MS-Access '97 InstallShield, ODBC

Hi Michel,

Two notes:
1. Remember that you cannot bargain on the ODBC driver to be installed on
any given client machine :( If you are installing an ODBC driver from a
third party source, I would certainly like to know where you're getting it
(looking for one myself).

2. On the Inprise site there is a document giving the shockingly long list
of known problems with Delphi 4 and its bundled utitlities. The one that has
the biggest influence on just about anyone hoping to deploy a D4 database
app is the problem with partial BDE installs on Delphi 4.
It turns out that InstallShield can do a full BDE employ without a hickup,
but forgets to install some very important files if you do a partial
install. I went looking for something like this on the Inprise site after I
tried to deploy a Paradox app, and to my surprise found that IDAPI32.cfg was
not installed.

Kind Regards,
Cobus Kruger

PS: If you're interested, the document is at:
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi/fixes/delphi4/index.html
with the Addon-specific problems at
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi/fixes/delphi4/addon.html

Michel Winkels wrote in message <7156v2$ai...@news.zeelandnet.nl>...
>Hi,

>I developed an application that uses an MS-Access'97 database. I've
>established a connenction through the ODBC-driver and everything works
fine.

>My application and database needs to be installed on several other
computers
>so I want to use InstallShield to create some floppy's for me. I think that
>the alias I create using the installshield is giving me problems (I've
tried
>several things but my application will not run on other computers). Is
there
>someone who knows how I can tell InstallShield to create an alias for a
>MS-Access '97 database using ODBC for me?

>thanks,
>Michel

Re:Delphi4, MS-Access '97 InstallShield, ODBC

Hello.  With regards to InstallShield - you need know as Cobus mentioned that
InstallShield is lacking a file.  However, if you go to the InstallShield
website that they have a corrected file you can download.

It's been a while since I used the express version; however, I don't know why
it shouldn't create everything for you.  But then I remember reading that
unless you have InstallShield Express 2.1 that you won't be able to create an
ODBC DSN for Access 97.

I currently use the professional version and have installed several Delphi,
Visual Basic, and Visual C++ apps with InstallShield using Access 97, Oracle,
SQL Anywhere, etc.  Therefore, I know that it can be done.

Again as Cobus mention - InstallShield is quite buggy; however, they have good
support on their newsgroups.

Let me know if you need more help.

Michael

Other Threads