OpenGL ns. Direct X

Can someone please answer these questions, I want to start writing a game,
but would like the answers before starting.

1.  What are the advantages/disadvantages/similarities of OpenGL and Direct
X?
     Ex:  Speed, Limitations, 2D vs. 3D capabilities.
2.  Which would you recommend using?

Thank you for your help.

Josh Breitbach

Re:OpenGL ns. Direct X

If you want your code to be portable between Delphi and Kylix then use
OpenGL. OpenGL is also a cleaner API to use. I am very new to OpenGL and
  am amazed how easy it is to pick up. If you go with OpenGL if Borland
decide to port the Delphi/Kylix compiler to another platform your
application will be easier to port as well.
DirectX is obviously Windows only and it is not an Open Standard.

If you want an easy way of porting your OpenGL applications between
Delphi and Kylix have a look at JEDI-SDL (
http://www.delphi-jedi.org/Jedi:TEAM_SDL_HOME ).
The upcoming release of beta 4 of JEDI-SDL will contain 14 OpenGL
examples that have been compiled with both Delphi and Kylix. One of the
OpenGL demos is a Quake II Model viewer and animator.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

L8R,

Dominique
http://www.DelphiGamer.com := for all your Delphi/Kylix game development
needs;

Josh Breitbach wrote:
> Can someone please answer these questions, I want to start writing a game,
> but would like the answers before starting.

> 1.  What are the advantages/disadvantages/similarities of OpenGL and Direct
> X?
>      Ex:  Speed, Limitations, 2D vs. 3D capabilities.
> 2.  Which would you recommend using?

> Thank you for your help.

> Josh Breitbach

Re:OpenGL ns. Direct X

"Josh Breitbach" <bre...@loras.edu> wrote in message

> Can someone please answer these questions, I want to start writing a
game,
> but would like the answers before starting.

> 1.  What are the advantages/disadvantages/similarities of OpenGL and
Direct
> X?
>      Ex:  Speed, Limitations, 2D vs. 3D capabilities.
> 2.  Which would you recommend using?

Personally, I would recommend OpenGL as there is an excellent library and
active user group supporting an implementation called GLScene.  As
Dominique says, OpenGL is a portable standard.

  http://www.glscene.org

David

Re:OpenGL ns. Direct X

I'm work in in OpenGL to and like it but it seems MS is trying to kill
it in Windows (big surprise). The MS version of OpenGL is still at
version 1.1 and though some vendors are supporting 1.3 you miss the
latest features unless you can program for certain cards using
extensions and forget it if your customers are relying on software
rendering.

Mitch Wolberg,
RockWare, Inc.

Josh Breitbach wrote:

> Can someone please answer these questions, I want to start writing a game,
> but would like the answers before starting.

> 1.  What are the advantages/disadvantages/similarities of OpenGL and Direct
> X?
>      Ex:  Speed, Limitations, 2D vs. 3D capabilities.
> 2.  Which would you recommend using?

> Thank you for your help.

> Josh Breitbach

Other Threads