Named Pipes , SQL Server 6.5 & Delphi

Hi,
Does anyone have any success persuading Delphi to use a trusted
connection via named pipes to SQLServer 6.5? When I use the client tools
provided by MS eg ISQL/w the trusted connection is used but Delphi has
no reference to this method and always asks for a login...
TIA
------------
Antony Day
e-mail : antho...@aztec.co.za

Re:Named Pipes , SQL Server 6.5 & Delphi

Hi Antony,

You wrote:
> Does anyone have any success persuading Delphi to use a trusted
> connection via named pipes to SQLServer 6.5? When I use the client tools
> provided by MS eg ISQL/w the trusted connection is used but Delphi has
> no reference to this method and always asks for a login...

We had the same problem! We eventually moved off 6.5 because of some serious bugs in the TCP/IP interface.
We've got 6.0 working happily on all protocols no problem, but found Named Pipes one of the slower protocols to
use - I'd recommend you use IP if at all possible.

I'm told that Service Pack 1 for 6.5 was released on Sep 9 at Microsoft.com - we haven't had the time yet to
try it!

Regards,

Rob

Check out http://www.adam.co.za for the fastest Delphi connection to SQL Server!!!
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager: Client/server Software Development

Re:Named Pipes , SQL Server 6.5 & Delphi

I have had the same problem, I can get it to use standard security (no
password) (turn off the login prompt on the TDatabase object), but not
trusted connections.  Besides that, our SQL 6.5 interface has been going
great.
Carl Hewitt

cdh...@erols.com
Delphi/Java Consulting

Rob McGillivray <R...@iafrica.com> wrote in article
<3258DE75.4...@iafrica.com>...

> Hi Antony,

> You wrote:
> > Does anyone have any success persuading Delphi to use a trusted
> > connection via named pipes to SQLServer 6.5? When I use the client
tools
> > provided by MS eg ISQL/w the trusted connection is used but Delphi has
> > no reference to this method and always asks for a login...

> We had the same problem! We eventually moved off 6.5 because of some

serious bugs in the TCP/IP interface.
> We've got 6.0 working happily on all protocols no problem, but found

Named Pipes one of the slower protocols to
> use - I'd recommend you use IP if at all possible.

> I'm told that Service Pack 1 for 6.5 was released on Sep 9 at

Microsoft.com - we haven't had the time yet to
> try it!

> Regards,

> Rob

> Check out http://www.adam.co.za for the fastest Delphi connection to SQL
Server!!!
> --
> Rob McGillivray
> Manager: Client/server Software Development
> DataSoft - "Voted Top Development House in South Africa - 1994"

Re:Named Pipes , SQL Server 6.5 & Delphi

AD> Does anyone have any success persuading Delphi to use a trusted
AD> connection via named pipes to SQLServer 6.5? When I use the client tools
AD> provided by MS eg ISQL/w the trusted connection is used but Delphi has
AD> no reference to this method and always asks for a login...

It works - use the SQL-Server Client Manager to select the named pipes
as the network library. Turn off the LOGINPROMT property of the database
object in Delphi - BTW even if you do specify a userid and password, it
will be ignored by the server when using trusted connections. The only
way to get access to SQL-Server's sa user is to sign onto the network as
the NT domain administrator.

We used this config in a Delphi I/SQL-Server 6 system we developed last
year.

regards,
Billy
vsl...@onwe.co.za          Verreynne Software labs, Johannesburg Z.A.

 * RM 1.31 3337 *

Re:Named Pipes , SQL Server 6.5 & Delphi

Rob,

Rob McGillivray <R...@iafrica.com> wrote:
>We had the same problem! We eventually moved off 6.5 because of some serious bugs in the TCP/IP interface.
>We've got 6.0 working happily on all protocols no problem, but found Named Pipes one of the slower protocols to
>use - I'd recommend you use IP if at all possible.

As always, YMMV. Our benchmarks with NT3.51/SQL Server 6.0 had NP a
shade faster than IP with in-house loads and workstations. At assorted
client sites, NP has proved quite a bit more stable than IP when
subjected to the usual LAN abuse.

I had an interesting e-mail from one of the Interbase developers
recently - their tests showed a marked (30%+) Named Pipes performance
improvement in NT4. They are now recommending NP as the first-choice
protocol with NT4/IB4.2

If you can live with a non-routable protocol, don't dismiss Named
Pipes out of hand...

Best wishes
Steve Mab{*word*82}
Real Systems cc