Help: Connecting 95 Client to NT Server using DCOM

I have Windows 95 with DCOM as a client and an NT Server with SP4.  The
client app is on the 95 machine and the server is on NT.  I am using
CreateRemote(\\servername) to specify the location of server, and it connect
fine.  I can do a _AddRef and _Release calls to the automation server (which
means I can connect to it), but if I try to run any other method/function in
the automation server, all I receive is a "Unexpected Error" with the
de{*word*81} saying that I the client raised an exception of class EOleException
with "Unexpected Error".  I do not get the same error (or any error,
actually) in a 95 Client -> 95 Server configuration, nor if the NT Server
acts as a client and the 95 machine is the server.

If anyone can give me a suggestion or where I can find some sample code, I
would really appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.

Steven Paplanus

Re:Help: Connecting 95 Client to NT Server using DCOM

Although I cannot tell for certain, this may be caused by a lack of access
permissions.  Use DCOMCNFG to either #1 configure additional access
permissions on the NT server or #2 disable authentication.

Randy Charles Morin
Webmaster of KBCafe http://tips.kbcafe.com/tips/
Co-Author of The Waite Group's COM/DCOM Primer Plus
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672314924/kbcafe
Coming Soon: COM/DCOM Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672313529/kbcafe

In article <7bf5c0$qs...@forums.borland.com>,
  "Steven Paplanus" <sapapla...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> I have Windows 95 with DCOM as a client and an NT Server with SP4.  The
> client app is on the 95 machine and the server is on NT.  I am using
> CreateRemote(\\servername) to specify the location of server, and it connect
> fine.  I can do a _AddRef and _Release calls to the automation server (which
> means I can connect to it), but if I try to run any other method/function in
> the automation server, all I receive is a "Unexpected Error" with the
> de{*word*81} saying that I the client raised an exception of class EOleException
> with "Unexpected Error".  I do not get the same error (or any error,
> actually) in a 95 Client -> 95 Server configuration, nor if the NT Server
> acts as a client and the 95 machine is the server.

> If anyone can give me a suggestion or where I can find some sample code, I
> would really appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.

> Steven Paplanus

////////////////////////////////////////
// He went out of his way to be good. //
////////////////////////////////////////

Re:Help: Connecting 95 Client to NT Server using DCOM

Do you have a sample project that doesn't work? Also, make sure you have the
latest Win95 SP installed.

have fun
binh

Steven Paplanus wrote in message <7bf5c0$qs...@forums.borland.com>...
>I have Windows 95 with DCOM as a client and an NT Server with SP4.  The
>client app is on the 95 machine and the server is on NT.  I am using
>CreateRemote(\\servername) to specify the location of server, and it
connect
>fine.  I can do a _AddRef and _Release calls to the automation server
(which
>means I can connect to it), but if I try to run any other method/function
in
>the automation server, all I receive is a "Unexpected Error" with the
>de{*word*81} saying that I the client raised an exception of class
EOleException
>with "Unexpected Error".  I do not get the same error (or any error,
>actually) in a 95 Client -> 95 Server configuration, nor if the NT Server
>acts as a client and the 95 machine is the server.

>If anyone can give me a suggestion or where I can find some sample code, I
>would really appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.

>Steven Paplanus

Other Threads