DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

Anybody done any tests for speed, scalability etc?

Does DX Socks performs really better then
any other server components?

Eugene.

--
ICQ: 35477912
MSN: eg...@mts-nn.ru

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

Eugene V. Goldberg wrote:
> have you tried it yourself???

> you will see tons of bulshit wich has nothing to do
> with the subject.

Try the search string:

   borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock: DX versus Indy

or this link:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=borland.public.delphi.internet.wins...

--
Henrick Hellstr?m,
StreamSec http://www.streamsec.com

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

>>>Anybody done any tests for speed, scalability etc?

>>>Does DX Socks performs really better then
>>>any other server components?

the actual outcome from thae flame war appeared to
be that DXSock outperforms the Indy Server components.
There was no comparisons to other server components.

Grahame
Indy Pit Crew

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

Grahame Grieve <grah...@kestral.com.au> wrote in news:3DF5DBAB.2070600
@kestral.com.au:

> the actual outcome from thae flame war appeared to
> be that DXSock outperforms the Indy Server components.

We've never disputed that. However in 98% of the situations, the performance
difference wont matter.

Choose the one that suits your needs better, and is easier to program for
you.

  Is Indy useful to you? Send a postcard please!
  http://www.hower.org/kudzu/indypost.html

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

> We've never disputed that. However in 98% of the situations, the

performance

Chad,

What are the current benchmarks?

No need for a flame.  What are the current numbers?

-dennis

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

> What are the current benchmarks?

Well, considering that the only benchmark available for DXSocks is from
the DX web site, I don't think you'd find anything conclusive.

DX supporters (and customers) have often claimed here having better
performance than with Indy servers. That's about all you'll be able to
find.

Good luck,
Stephane

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

Oh, and forget comparing Indy to DxSock or anything else for the time-being.

What are the Indy performance benchmarks?

-dennis

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

"Allen - Team Indy" <aone...@DONTSPAMspringboardtechnologies.com> wrote in
message news:3df626dc@newsgroups.borland.com...

> > Oh, and forget comparing Indy to DxSock or anything else for the
> time-being.

> > What are the Indy performance benchmarks?

> Right now, there are no "published" benchmarks - there may be when Indy 10
> is ready, but I doubt before.

That is very good to hear.  I see no reason why there are no "official"
benchmarks published.  Full Disclosure is a good thing.

<<<Best thing is to get both, see how easy they fit your needs and make your
own decision.>>

Well, that just sounds like marketing to me.  As a prospective user/customer
there is some basic information I would like up front.  If for no other
reason, then to compare my own performance benchmarks...

-dennis

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

> That is very good to hear.  I see no reason why there are no "official"
> benchmarks published.  Full Disclosure is a good thing.

There is no "official" benchmark because one has never been done.
Full disclosure is great.

> <<<Best thing is to get both, see how easy they fit your needs and make
your
> own decision.>>

> Well, that just sounds like marketing to me.

Its not - its my advice to you

>As a prospective user/customer

You might be a potential "customer" for DX, but not for Indy.
Indy is free, and OpenSource - you dont pay anything, and we dont
get paid anything to develop it.

> there is some basic information I would like up front.  If for no other
> reason, then to compare my own performance benchmarks...

Benchmarks are very subjective, so even more reason for you to do your own,
in your own environment, under your own criteria and conditions, if you need
them.

/A.

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

> Oh, and forget comparing Indy to DxSock or anything else for the
time-being.

> What are the Indy performance benchmarks?

Right now, there are no "published" benchmarks - there may be when Indy 10
is ready, but I doubt before. Best thing is to get both, see how easy they
fit your
needs and make your own decision.

/A.

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

"Allen - Team Indy" <aone...@DONTSPAMspringboardtechnologies.com> wrote in

> You might be a potential "customer" for DX, but not for Indy.
> Indy is free, and OpenSource - you dont pay anything, and we dont
> get paid anything to develop it.

Not only do you have customers.  We *ALL* have customers.  Except for the
rare hobbyist in these forums, *all* of these tools serve a customer base.

Indy may be free, but the software we develop almost never is.  Thus Indy
isn't free to the end consumer...   That's all I'll say on that...

-dennis

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

In article <3df61...@newsgroups.borland.com>, "Dennis Landi" <dennis[at]
dennislandi.com> says...
> Nobody from the Indy team has published their own benchmark findings?

> Why not?

Because we are not in a position to make any objective benchmarks at
all.

First, whatever findings we make could be biased to our own perceptions
and ego involvement in Indy.  That goes the same for DxSock (not that
I'm blasting that component set).  One thing you have to understand is
that often, vendors doing their own benchmarks will tend to get results
favorable to them because of their biases and ego involvement.  Note
that I'm not blasting ego involvement in one's own work in and of itself
but often, you can not judge a competing product fairly.  Ego
involvement will often compromise any results in research which is why
researchers in many fields are obligated to disclose any conflicts of
interest that can taint their judgment.

Second, we do not have a controlled environment required for tests.  I
say controlled because performance is often effected by external factors
such as network usage at a particular moment (on the Internet, that is
extremely variable), hardware capability, and software setups including
drivers, service packs, and other tasks that run at a particular moment.

Three, we do not have a copy of another vendor's product to test against
and to be frank, I do not want a copy myself because a vendor might
later accuse me of us of stealing their ideas after being exposed to
them.  Such an accusation had been made in the past against one of us.

Four, performance gained in a test application may not translate into
performance in an end-user program.  Other things effect that such as
skill of the programmer and the complexity of the application itself.
In addition, typical performance will be effected by other factors such
as the server's capability and available bandwidth.

> Why does this have to be a contentious issue?  Indy is obviously here to
> stay so I don't see how publishing some facts on performance is threatening.

In and of itself, it is not threatening.  On the other hand, we question
the source of the statistics.  The statics are made by the same person
who had once accused Indy of violating his intellectual property rights
on a public forum.

--
J. Peter Mugaas - Chairperson, Distribution Team, Indy Pit Crew
Internet Direct (Indy) Website - http://www.nevrona.com/Indy

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

> Not only do you have customers.  We *ALL* have customers.  Except for the
> rare hobbyist in these forums, *all* of these tools serve a customer base.

> Indy may be free, but the software we develop almost never is.  Thus Indy
> isn't free to the end consumer...   That's all I'll say on that...

Oh good man - you go take everything absolutely literally and not in the
spirit
it was intended. - I intended to say (and was my mistake,  for not being
10000% clear)
that Indy does not have any "paying" customers, because that was the tone
that I
mistakenly picked up from your post.

You are totally right, I am totally wrong, please forgive my PC blindness

/A.

Re:DX Socks FTP Server vs Indy FTP Server

"Dennis Landi" <dennis[at]dennislandi.com> wrote in

> That is very good to hear.  I see no reason why there are no "official"
> benchmarks published.  Full Disclosure is a good thing.

There is nothing thats "not disclosed". The Indy team is very busy with coding
and their real jobs.

If you'd like to run benchmarks, we'd surely assist you in verifying them etc.

><<<Best thing is to get both, see how easy they fit your needs and make
>your
> own decision.>>

> Well, that just sounds like marketing to me.  As a prospective
> user/customer there is some basic information I would like up front.  If
> for no other reason, then to compare my own performance benchmarks...

Its always best to use your own benchmarks whether they be performance or
suitatiblity. Never trust the benchmarks from a vendor.

   Want more Indy stuff? Try the Atozed Indy Portal at
        http://www.atozedsoftware.com/
    * More Free Demos
    * Free Articles
    * Extra Support

"Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu" <c...@hower.org> wrote in message
> If you'd like to run benchmarks, we'd surely assist you in verifying them

etc.

Thank you.  I am going to convert a very simple delphi app that uses
borland's tClientSocket and tServerSocket components.  I will make the
"sockets" part of this app a plug-in.   That way we can simply use the same
app to benchmark any sockets suite via a runtime package plug-in
architecture.   I will be able to show you the borland sockets version, and
then invite you to come up with an indy (10?) version.

How about it?

This way, all/any vendor can participate without seeing another vendor's
implementation, since what they port is the borland sockets implementation.

Sound good?

-dennis

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads