Board index » delphi » Final exam project (DUTCH)

Final exam project (DUTCH)

Yu,

Ik ben Stef Lauwers, 17 jarig student, en ik zit met een probleempje waarmee
jullie me hopelijk kunnen helpen. Het eindwerk van de 6e jaars bij ons op
school bestond erin een eindwerk te maken in het grafisch scherm van TP.

De tekst is er, maar de plaatsing van de figuren is totaal verkeerd. Ff kort
: het is de TP versie van de Bacardi screensaver, er komen bovenaan at
random ingredi?nten naar beneden gevalle die je (in de juiste volgorde
weliswaar) met een glas moet opvangen. Enkel gaan er nu goede ingredi?nten
"doorheen" en filpt het programma helemaal bij een goed ingredi?nt.

We zitten een beetje in tijdsnood en we komen er maar niet uit. Aangezien de
tekst in het Nederlands is opgesteld zal een Engelstalig programmeur er
waarschijnlijk weinig van begrijpen. Dit is een beetje onze laatste hoop zeg
maar...

De tekst is met de nodige units en pcx bestanden te vinden op :

http://users.skynet.be/snowmannetje/eindwerk.zip

Hopelijk zien jullie wat wij over het hoofd zien...

Thx

Stef

 

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


Snowman schreef:

Quote

> Yu,

> Ik ben Stef Lauwers, 17 jarig student, en ik zit met een probleempje waarmee
> jullie me hopelijk kunnen helpen. Het eindwerk van de 6e jaars bij ons op
> school bestond erin een eindwerk te maken in het grafisch scherm van TP.

> De tekst is er, maar de plaatsing van de figuren is totaal verkeerd. Ff kort
> : het is de TP versie van de Bacardi screensaver, er komen bovenaan at
> random ingredi?nten naar beneden gevalle die je (in de juiste volgorde
> weliswaar) met een glas moet opvangen. Enkel gaan er nu goede ingredi?nten
> "doorheen" en filpt het programma helemaal bij een goed ingredi?nt.

> We zitten een beetje in tijdsnood en we komen er maar niet uit. Aangezien de
> tekst in het Nederlands is opgesteld zal een Engelstalig programmeur er
> waarschijnlijk weinig van begrijpen. Dit is een beetje onze laatste hoop zeg
> maar...

> De tekst is met de nodige units en pcx bestanden te vinden op :

> http://users.skynet.be/snowmannetje/eindwerk.zip

> Hopelijk zien jullie wat wij over het hoofd zien...

> Thx

> Stef

Dear Stef,

May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

Translation: (truncated)

Hi, (Yu?)

I am Stef Lauwers, a 17 year old student with a problem. :)
We have a final exam project, which doesn't work.
In a graphical screen, objects at random positions have to
fall into a glass (in the right order). The user can move
the glass.

Problems:
- objects fall trough the glass when they are not supposed to
- program goes bezerk when a good object is caught

We are in need of time. Since the displayed texts are in dutch,
an English programmer probably would not understand much of it.
This is probably our last hope... (program at http://... etc)

(end translation)

Since pascal, algorithms and mathematics are universal it might
not be very hard for an English programmer to see trough your
program. So don't underestimate them.

A structural approach might have helped when designing the program.
Unfortunately, this group doesn't do homework...

Greetings. Huub.

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote:

Quote
> Dear Stef,

> May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
> No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
> HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

I also wrote such replies some time ago, but they flamed at me saying
there is no appropiate and good Dutch NG. Just ignore messages you
cannot understand!

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -W -- WARNING: This copies a random file from
use strict;my$s;my$n=0;for # the  current  directory  to your
(<*>){++$n;int rand$n or$s # signature  file.   Use  at  your
=$_};`cp $s ~/.signature`; # own risk! (c) 2001 Rudolf Polzer

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> said the following:
Quote
>Snowman schreef:

>> Yu,

>> Ik ben Stef Lauwers,

>Dear Stef,

>May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
>No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
>HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

Then ignore them, don't forget a number of people may not have a good
command of English though English would have more people able to help
immediately.

Perhaps something should be added to the FAQ. Maybe
"It is helpful, as more people will immediately understand your
question, if you are able to post questions in English. Do not worry
if your English is poor, keep your sentences short and clear and there
will be enough people who will understand what you are asking. For non
English posts, a short resume in English may help English speakers add
to the reply."

Thoughts anyone ?

Quote
>Since pascal, algorithms and mathematics are universal it might
>not be very hard for an English programmer to see trough your
>program. So don't underestimate them.

True.

Quote

>A structural approach might have helped when designing the program.
>Unfortunately, this group doesn't do homework...

 From mFAQ
   -  We will not do your homework for you! We will, however, give advice

      on specific topics and look at code that you have a problem with.
      Show us what you have done already and pointers and fixes will be
      forthcoming. Don't just post your assignment!

Perhaps a rewording is needed as the group *will* help with specific
topics if a person doing homework has shown they have made an effort
which seems to be the
--
Pedt
ACRONYM = Another Cryptically Rendered Obfuscatory Narrative Yielding Meaning

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


JRS:  In article <3AE1B155.9D21E...@iae.nl>, seen in
news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote
at Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:12:05 :-

Quote
>> ...

>> Hopelijk zien jullie wat wij over het hoofd zien...

>> Thx

>> Stef

>Dear Stef,

>May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
>No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
>HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

It does not much matter whether one specific person, even you, can
understand a message.  What matters is that a question should be
correctly understood by at least one person who can give the correct
answer; that answers can be understood by the questioner; and that
general announcements and discussion should be widely understood.

It is arrogance to insist that all other Dutch people must have
the ability, as you do, to write fluent and near-correct English
(tale->tail; tale is story, tail is end-of-dog).  There is no need to
discriminate against the linguistically-challenged.

It is offensive to assume that Dutch can only be read by Dutch people;
those with a good understanding of English, French, and German can often
make it out.

Questions and answers should be given in whichever language will, under
the circumstances, be most efficacious; and this will not always be
English.  Even Finnish is understood (by some) here; and is understood
better than what some non-British fondly think is English can be
understood in Britain.

--
? John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v4.00   MSIE 4 ?
 <URL: http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> FAQ for comp.lang.javascript by Jim Ley.
 <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm>  Javascript maths, sources.
 <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/JS/&c., FAQ topics, links.

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


Dr John Stockton <s...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Quote
> JRS:  In article <3AE1B155.9D21E...@iae.nl>, seen in
> news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote
> at Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:12:05 :-
> >> ...

> >> Hopelijk zien jullie wat wij over het hoofd zien...

> >> Thx

> >> Stef

> >Dear Stef,

> >May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
> >No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
> >HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

> It does not much matter whether one specific person, even you, can
> understand a message.  What matters is that a question should be
> correctly understood by at least one person who can give the correct
> answer; that answers can be understood by the questioner; and that
> general announcements and discussion should be widely understood.

And another thing: When he does not like to read such postings, why
not use a newsreader with fulltext killfiling? Killing all messages
containing 'ij' would eliminate Dutch (and 'der' does work with
German).

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -W -- WARNING: This will print 22,307 bytes! <strictsafe!>
use strict;for(my$y=-1;$y<1;$y+=.1){for(my$x=-1.9;$x<.4;$x+=.03){print'+';
my$X=my$Y=0;for(0..99){($X,$Y)=($X*$X-$Y*$Y+$x,2*$X*$Y+$y);print"\b "if$X*
$X+$Y*$Y>9;}}print"\n"};print''.reverse"\nHPAJ \a!rezloP .R yb torblednaM"

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


Dr John Stockton schreef:

Quote

> JRS:  In article <3AE1B155.9D21E...@iae.nl>, seen in
> news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote
> at Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:12:05 :-
> >> ...

> >> Hopelijk zien jullie wat wij over het hoofd zien...

> >> Thx

> >> Stef

> >Dear Stef,

> >May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
> >No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
> >HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

> It does not much matter whether one specific person, even you, can
> understand a message.  What matters is that a question should be
> correctly understood by at least one person who can give the correct
> answer; that answers can be understood by the questioner; and that
> general announcements and discussion should be widely understood.

> It is arrogance to insist that all other Dutch people must have
> the ability, as you do, to write fluent and near-correct English
> (tale->tail; tale is story, tail is end-of-dog).  There is no need to
> discriminate against the linguistically-challenged.

> It is offensive to assume that Dutch can only be read by Dutch people;
> those with a good understanding of English, French, and German can often
> make it out.

> Questions and answers should be given in whichever language will, under
> the circumstances, be most efficacious; and this will not always be
> English.  Even Finnish is understood (by some) here; and is understood
> better than what some non-British fondly think is English can be
> understood in Britain.

> --
> ? John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v4.00   MSIE 4 ?
>  <URL: http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> FAQ for comp.lang.javascript by Jim Ley.
>  <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm>  Javascript maths, sources.
>  <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/JS/&c., FAQ topics, links.

All true, John.
But adding an unnecessary "even you" in the first remark, smells
like a bit of arrogance on your behalf.

I can also tell you that just have been flamed by this person
through e-mail in *perfect* English. It ends with
"I'm out of here, you f*ck".

He accuses me of being a racist in the way of discriminating by age.
It was just a small joke through bad translation. Has nothing to do
with programming skills, whatsoever.

I planned on helping this person a bit, but now I'm not so eager
anymore. Some kind of communication problem I think.

Conclusion: with combined effort, questions in foreign languages
can be understood and answered.

Greetings. Huub.

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote:

Quote
> I can also tell you that just have been flamed by this person
> through e-mail in *perfect* English. It ends with
> "I'm out of here, you f*ck".

Is _THAT_ perfect? The 'u' key is missing! SCRN

Quote
> He accuses me of being a racist in the way of discriminating by age.
> It was just a small joke through bad translation. Has nothing to do
> with programming skills, whatsoever.

> I planned on helping this person a bit, but now I'm not so eager
> anymore. Some kind of communication problem I think.

> Conclusion: with combined effort, questions in foreign languages
> can be understood and answered.

And this is how it should be.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- WARNING: Be careful. This is a virus!!! # rm -rf /
eval($0=q{$0="\neval(\$0=q{$0});\n";for(<*.pl>){open X,">>$_";print X
$0;close X;}print''.reverse"\nsuriv lreP trohs rehtona tsuJ>RH<\n"});
####################### http://learn.to/quote #######################

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


"echo 'Rudolf Polzer'>/dev/null" schreef:

Quote

> Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> wrote:
> > Dear Stef,

> > May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
> > No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
> > HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

> I also wrote such replies some time ago, but they flamed at me saying
> there is no appropiate and good Dutch NG. Just ignore messages you
> cannot understand!

> --
> #!/usr/bin/perl -W -- WARNING: This copies a random file from
> use strict;my$s;my$n=0;for # the  current  directory  to your
> (<*>){++$n;int rand$n or$s # signature  file.   Use  at  your
> =$_};`cp $s ~/.signature`; # own risk! (c) 2001 Rudolf Polzer

Yes, correct.
Maybe I should not have used the word "hate", but this:

"You probably will reach more people to help you,
if you translate this message to English"

Greetings. Huub.

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


Pedt schreef:

Quote

> Huub van Dooren <hvdoo...@iae.nl> said the following:
> >Snowman schreef:

> >> Yu,

> >> Ik ben Stef Lauwers,

> >Dear Stef,

> >May I remind you that this is an English newsgroup.
> >No dutch, finnish or german here, please. I personally
> >HATE posts, that I cannot make head or tale of.

> Then ignore them, don't forget a number of people may not have a good
> command of English though English would have more people able to help
> immediately.

> Perhaps something should be added to the FAQ. Maybe
> "It is helpful, as more people will immediately understand your
> question, if you are able to post questions in English. Do not worry
> if your English is poor, keep your sentences short and clear and there
> will be enough people who will understand what you are asking. For non
> English posts, a short resume in English may help English speakers add
> to the reply."

> Thoughts anyone ?

> >Since pascal, algorithms and mathematics are universal it might
> >not be very hard for an English programmer to see trough your
> >program. So don't underestimate them.

> True.

> >A structural approach might have helped when designing the program.
> >Unfortunately, this group doesn't do homework...

>  From mFAQ
>    -  We will not do your homework for you! We will, however, give advice

>       on specific topics and look at code that you have a problem with.
>       Show us what you have done already and pointers and fixes will be
>       forthcoming. Don't just post your assignment!

> Perhaps a rewording is needed as the group *will* help with specific
> topics if a person doing homework has shown they have made an effort
> which seems to be the
> --
> Pedt
> ACRONYM = Another Cryptically Rendered Obfuscatory Narrative Yielding Meaning

You suggest a good addition to the faq.
English is not neccesary but it helps a lot.

I also forgot the emphasis in:
"We will not do your homework for you!" lies in "for you"
not in "not do homework". Suggestion:

"If you have questions about your (Pascal-)homework, this NG
will give you useful tips and suggestions. However you have to
show some proof that you at least have made an attempt to solve
the problem. We will not give complete solutions or programs"

Greetings. Huub.

Re:Final exam project (DUTCH)


"echo 'Rudolf Polzer'>/dev/null" schreef:
Quote

[snip]

> And another thing: When he does not like to read such postings, why
> not use a newsreader with fulltext killfiling? Killing all messages
> containing 'ij' would eliminate Dutch (and 'der' does work with
> German).

[snip]

It doesn't seem to bother me much, otherwise I did not translate it.
I can understand Dutch, German and English very well and French,
Spanish and Italian to some extend. Finnish and Polish are complete
abracadabra to me.

I was merely interpreting the NG-rules (too strict I believe) and
helping non-dutch readers to understand the message so they could
offer some help. No harm done.

Still happy. Huub.

Other Threads