_Compiler Construction_ by Wirth?

Can anyone offer comments on or point me to reviews of Niklaus
Wirth's latest book, _Compiler Construction_?  Thank you.
--
mailto:m...@iodesign.com                 http://www.mike.iodesign.com/

                        It's great to be fine.

Re:_Compiler Construction_ by Wirth?

In article <5467jf$...@twizzler.callamer.com> m...@hal.iodesign.com (Michael Gallo) writes:
>Can anyone offer comments on or point me to reviews of Niklaus
>Wirth's latest book, _Compiler Construction_?  Thank you.
>Can anyone offer comments on or point me to reviews of Niklaus
>Wirth's latest book, _Compiler Construction_?  Thank you.

Well, I think it is well worth having a look.  As usual he does in 200 pages
what most people take 800 or so to do.  It's not a book for naive students;
it's terse, crisp, and all the other things you will know about NW.  As a
book for teachers, and for any others who abhor the over-complexity of
modern systems it is very good indeed.

He uses Oberon as the host language to implement a compiler for a subset of
Oberon called Oberon-0, generating code for a hypothetical RISC machine like
Henessy and Patterson's DLX.  He covers only recursive descent, hand crafted
compilers, spurning compiler generators.  The code has his usual attributes
- almost too tight, and with few comments or concessions to readability.
Covers some optimization, separate compilation etc.  Not much use made of
the OOP features of Oberon.  The book comes with a PC diskette containing
all the sources in PC, Mac and Unix format, and also a version of Oberon for
the PC that you can install.

I haven't yet seen any published reviews.  There was an earlier version in
German, also published by Addison Wesley.

Mayes uk wrote:

> In article <cspt.1521.32674...@giraffe.ru.ac.za>
>            c...@giraffe.ru.ac.za "Pat Terry" writes:

> > In article <5467jf$...@twizzler.callamer.com> m...@hal.iodesign.com (Michael
> >  Gallo) writes:

> > >Can anyone offer comments on or point me to reviews of Niklaus
> > >Wirth's latest book, _Compiler Construction_?  Thank you.

> > >Can anyone offer comments on or point me to reviews of Niklaus
> > >Wirth's latest book, _Compiler Construction_?  Thank you.

> > Well, I think it is well worth having a look.  As usual he does in 200 pages
> > what most people take 800 or so to do.  It's not a book for naive students;
> > it's terse, crisp, and all the other things you will know about NW.  As a
> > book for teachers, and for any others who abhor the over-complexity of
> > modern systems it is very good indeed.

> [snip]

> Can someone post (or e-mail) the ISBN number for this book?

> Thanks and regards,

> Mike Watson

ISBN 0-201-40353-6

Edward de Jong wrote:

> Who is publishing the book? Springer Verlag??

Niklaus Wirth: Compiler Construction
        Addison-Wesley, 1996
        ISBN 0-201-40353-6

The book is a translation of "Grundlagen und Techniken des
Compilerbaus", published by Addison-Wesley Deutschland in 1995.

Re:_Compiler Construction_ by Wirth?

Who is publishing the book? Springer Verlag??

--
edw...@magicmouse.com
author of Flying Colors for Macintosh & Windows platforms

In article <edward-2710960103500...@server.magicmouse.com> edw...@magicmouse.com (Edward de Jong) writes:

>From: edw...@magicmouse.com (Edward de Jong)
>Subject: Re: _Compiler Construction_ by Wirth?
>Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 01:03:50 -0700
>Who is publishing the book? Springer Verlag??
>--
>edw...@magicmouse.com
>author of Flying Colors for Macintosh & Windows platforms

Addison Wesley, 1996.  ISBN 0-201-40353-6 Paperback

Other Threads