Delphi 5 DCOMConnection.servername property

A Delphi 5 DCOMconnection component does not display (in the dropdown)
workstation registered servers while using Delphi 4, the registered servers
are available in the dropdown on the same workstation.  I have been through
what I believe to be all options, including attacking the various COM
libraries (comcat.dll, comctl32.dll, etc) with no apparent results. The
OLEVIEW utility properly indicates the registered servers.

This is under NT4 (SP4) and NT2000 (SP1) on at least two workstations.

I apologize for this post as I am certain this has arisen (probably multiple
times) before, but I cannot resolve it. Does anyone have an answer or a
strategy for tackling this problem? Thanks very much.

Re:Delphi 5 DCOMConnection.servername property

The D5 ServerName dropdown specifically looks for MIDAS servers. If you want
regular COM servers, just type the entire ProgID into the property.

have fun
--
Binh Ly
http://www.techvanguards.com

"Derek Engelen" <fdm...@home.com> wrote in message

> A Delphi 5 DCOMconnection component does not display (in the dropdown)
> workstation registered servers while using Delphi 4, the registered
servers
> are available in the dropdown on the same workstation.  I have been
through
> what I believe to be all options, including attacking the various COM
> libraries (comcat.dll, comctl32.dll, etc) with no apparent results. The
> OLEVIEW utility properly indicates the registered servers.

> This is under NT4 (SP4) and NT2000 (SP1) on at least two workstations.

> I apologize for this post as I am certain this has arisen (probably
multiple
> times) before, but I cannot resolve it. Does anyone have an answer or a
> strategy for tackling this problem? Thanks very much.

Re:Delphi 5 DCOMConnection.servername property

Yes, I realized that is a 'workaround' for the dropdown box. What am I
missing about converting a Delphi 4 server to a Delphi 5 'MIDAS' server, and
where is this documented?

"Binh Ly" <b...@techvanguards.com> wrote in message news:3a5407fa_1@dnews...
> The D5 ServerName dropdown specifically looks for MIDAS servers. If you
want
> regular COM servers, just type the entire ProgID into the property.

> have fun
> --
> Binh Ly
> http://www.techvanguards.com

> "Derek Engelen" <fdm...@home.com> wrote in message
> > A Delphi 5 DCOMconnection component does not display (in the dropdown)
> > workstation registered servers while using Delphi 4, the registered
> servers
> > are available in the dropdown on the same workstation.  I have been
> through
> > what I believe to be all options, including attacking the various COM
> > libraries (comcat.dll, comctl32.dll, etc) with no apparent results. The
> > OLEVIEW utility properly indicates the registered servers.

> > This is under NT4 (SP4) and NT2000 (SP1) on at least two workstations.

> > I apologize for this post as I am certain this has arisen (probably
> multiple
> > times) before, but I cannot resolve it. Does anyone have an answer or a
> > strategy for tackling this problem? Thanks very much.

Re:Delphi 5 DCOMConnection.servername property

Unless you really want a MIDAS server, there should be no reason for you to
convert a regular COM server to a MIDAS server. I believe the confusion here
is because of a change in the behavior of the property editor from D4->D5.
In D5, that ServerName property editor is geared for searching MIDAS
servers. It just so happens that the property editor also allows you to type
in free-form ProgIDs for regular COM servers. If you really want for the
property editor to search including COM servers, simply derive and write
your custom TDCOMConnection/property editor and register in into the IDE.

have fun
--

> Yes, I realized that is a 'workaround' for the dropdown box. What am I
> missing about converting a Delphi 4 server to a Delphi 5 'MIDAS' server,
and
> where is this documented?

Other Threads