Setting up a Win98 DCOM server <-> Win98 DCOM client test site, without NT...possible?

Hi,

For practicing COM/DCOM techniques I'd like to setup a
Windows 98 machine as DCOM server and a 2nd Windows 98
DCOM client in a home LAN without a NT Server.

Currently I recieve "interface not supported" error message when
accessing the server's COM object.

As being a newby in this area I surfed arround and read some articles...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that my trouble(s) are found to
be in the security issues of my Win98 DCOM server.

I'm not able to setup a "user access level" for my network configuration,
since I dont have a NT server setup to share the user/group information.

I hope someone can 'push' me in the right direction to continue my
practicing and testing of DCOM techniques...

Thanks,
Savant

Re:Setting up a Win98 DCOM server <-> Win98 DCOM client test site, without NT...possible?

<<Savant:
I'd like to setup a Windows 98 machine as DCOM server and a
2nd Windows 98 DCOM client

Have you seen Dan Miser's DCOM FAQ?
http://www.distribucon.com/dcom.html

Re:Setting up a Win98 DCOM server <-> Win98 DCOM client test site, without NT...possible?

I took a look at the articles and read the information displayed on your
given url.
And although a lot of helpfull information is given, thanks for pointing me
this webpage(s), I am still struggling with the same problem:

Situation:
- Two Windows 98 (2nd edition) systems linked up in a small LAN
  using TCP/IP, MS Networking, File/Printer sharing enabled.
  ! SHAREDLEVEL access on both machines
- Network seems to work without any problem, including the shared
  internet is no problem (SyGate is running as the internet proxy).

- My server application is written in Delphi5 (same for my small test
application)

I've setup (this is at least my goal) one Win98 system to be the DCOM
server. I've installed DCOM98 and the DCOM(95)CFG utility.
I've changed the registrykey
(HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE\LegacyAuthenticationLevel = 1)
enabled the RemoteAccess and DCOM capabilities.

I've copied the Stndvclxx.dll and dbclient.dll to the server's
..\Windows\System folder.

I've run my server application (once) using the /regserver parameter to
register itself.

I restarted the Win98 DCOM server machine and manually started the RPCSS.EXE
as suggested, than finally started my server application which remains 'in
the air'.

On the client I've installed DCOM98 and the DCOM(95)CFG utility.
I've changed the registrykey
(HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE\LegacyAuthenticationLevel = 1)
enabled the RemoteAccess and DCOM capabilities.

Restarted the 'client' system aswell...

After running my test application I click a button which trigger's the
following code:

    FTest := CoTest.CreateRemote('server_pc');
    ShowMessage(FTest.GetMessage);
    FTest := nil;

    FTest is of type ITest.

    The server application initializes as follows:

    TAutoObjectFactory.Create(ComServer, TTest, Class_Test,
    ciMultiInstance, tmApartment);

I hope that this information will sketch my situation more....

Help...

Savant

"Deborah Pate (TeamB)" <d.p...@cableinet.co.not-this-bit.uk> wrote in
message news:VA.00000541.0041719b@cableinet.co.not-this-bit.uk...

> <<Savant:
> I'd like to setup a Windows 98 machine as DCOM server and a
> 2nd Windows 98 DCOM client

> Have you seen Dan Miser's DCOM FAQ?
> http://www.distribucon.com/dcom.html

> --
> Deborah Pate (TeamB) http://delphi-jedi.org

>   Use Borland servers; TeamB don't see posts via ISPs
>   http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/genl_faqs.html

Re:Setting up a Win98 DCOM server <-> Win98 DCOM client test site, without NT...possible?

After some trial & error I succeeded using the
ITestDisp Dispinterface remotely...

I was trying to hook up to ITest declared as:

ITest = interface(IDispatch)

This caused the err.message "interface not supported"

Using ITestDisp = dispinterface ,  Seems to work fine...

Question: as I supposed to use Dispinterfaces remotely or am I
still doing something wrong and should I be able to use ITest aswell?

Savant

Other Threads