Board index » delphi » Win95 bug or D3 bug?

Win95 bug or D3 bug?

Hi. I'm very confused about it's happening: After compiling and running
a program, it runs perfectly in my computer. Even installing the program
with Install Shield 1.11 (the one that came with D3 Pro) in about 4
computers, it ran perfectly. Here is the problem: if I install it and
run it in my customer's computer, an existing table that needs to be
actualized just can't accept any post and the my program crashes...

Where is my problem? Why did it run in some computers and in others
didn't?

Thank you in advance.

Pablo

 

Re:Win95 bug or D3 bug?


I'm just guessing but my first suspect would be the file access rights.

Make sure none of the files involved are readonly and that the user has full
read/write/create/delete access to that directory as well as the
temp/private directory and the .net directory if it is needed.
--
Tim Borman
tbor...@nospam.prophase.com
please reply to this newsgroup
-----------------------------------------------------

Quote
Pablo Romero Abiti wrote in message <353C1B61.1...@cuates.pue.upaep.mx>...
>Hi. I'm very confused about it's happening: After compiling and running
>a program, it runs perfectly in my computer. Even installing the program
>with Install Shield 1.11 (the one that came with D3 Pro) in about 4
>computers, it ran perfectly. Here is the problem: if I install it and
>run it in my customer's computer, an existing table that needs to be
>actualized just can't accept any post and the my program crashes...

>Where is my problem? Why did it run in some computers and in others
>didn't?

>Thank you in advance.

>Pablo

Re:Win95 bug or D3 bug?


I have a similar problem.
My app uses local paradox tables.  It runs 'perfectly' on my computer.  I
installed it with Installshield and a partial BDE install on a different
machine and it gives me an address error when I do a post to some of the
tables.  I installed Delphi on the other computer and the error disappeared.
I was wondering what was included in the Delphi install that made it work
that's not included in the InstallShield installation.  Do I need to do a
full BDE install on the client's machine?
A Delphi programmer in Desperation...
Brad Bartholomew
br...@iisweb.com

Quote
Pablo Romero Abiti wrote in message <353C1B61.1...@cuates.pue.upaep.mx>...
>Hi. I'm very confused about it's happening: After compiling and running
>a program, it runs perfectly in my computer. Even installing the program
>with Install Shield 1.11 (the one that came with D3 Pro) in about 4
>computers, it ran perfectly. Here is the problem: if I install it and
>run it in my customer's computer, an existing table that needs to be
>actualized just can't accept any post and the my program crashes...

>Where is my problem? Why did it run in some computers and in others
>didn't?

>Thank you in advance.

>Pablo

Re:Win95 bug or D3 bug?


Quote
Brad Bartholomew wrote:

> I have a similar problem.
> My app uses local paradox tables.  It runs 'perfectly' on my computer.  I
> installed it with Installshield and a partial BDE install on a different
> machine and it gives me an address error when I do a post to some of the
> tables.  I installed Delphi on the other computer and the error disappeared.
> I was wondering what was included in the Delphi install that made it work
> that's not included in the InstallShield installation.  Do I need to do a
> full BDE install on the client's machine?
> A Delphi programmer in Desperation...
> Brad Bartholomew
> br...@iisweb.com

> Pablo Romero Abiti wrote in message <353C1B61.1...@cuates.pue.upaep.mx>...
> >Hi. I'm very confused about it's happening: After compiling and running
> >a program, it runs perfectly in my computer. Even installing the program
> >with Install Shield 1.11 (the one that came with D3 Pro) in about 4
> >computers, it ran perfectly. Here is the problem: if I install it and
> >run it in my customer's computer, an existing table that needs to be
> >actualized just can't accept any post and the my program crashes...

> >Where is my problem? Why did it run in some computers and in others
> >didn't?

> >Thank you in advance.

> >Pablo

If you do a partial install of the BDE it will install all the files in
the application's directory.  Each of your apps then get a copy of the
BDE.  If you do a full installation, it will overwrite existing old
versions of the BDE to insure all apps are using the same version....

Re:Win95 bug or D3 bug?


Quote
Tim Borman wrote:

> I'm just guessing but my first suspect would be the file access rights.

> Make sure none of the files involved are readonly and that the user has full
> read/write/create/delete access to that directory as well as the
> temp/private directory and the .net directory if it is needed.
> --
> Tim Borman
> tbor...@nospam.prophase.com
> please reply to this newsgroup

Hi. The user has total access to the directory where the database is
located. The tables I'm using are local.

Thank's

Pablo.

Other Threads