Connect with Interbase controls

Hi everybody,

I am using Delphi 5 and Interbase downloaded from Borland.
Can somebody explain to me the difference between using Interbase database
control (TIBDatabase) versus Data Access control (TDatabase).
1. What do they use to connect? I presume TDatabase is using ODBC
     whereas TIBDatabase uses BDE.
2. What is the better choice?
3. What are their pros and cons?

Thanks a lot,
Doru Roman

Re:Connect with Interbase controls

"Doru Roman" <Constan...@telehop.com> wrote in message

> Hi everybody,

> I am using Delphi 5 and Interbase downloaded from Borland.
> Can somebody explain to me the difference between using Interbase database
> control (TIBDatabase) versus Data Access control (TDatabase).
> 1. What do they use to connect? I presume TDatabase is using ODBC
>      whereas TIBDatabase uses BDE.
> 2. What is the better choice?
> 3. What are their pros and cons?

TIBDataset uses the Interbase API through the GDB32.DLL, not the BDE.
TDatabase uses the BDE or ODBC, IIRC. Using TIBDataset limits you to using
Interbase where TDatabase does not so it's a choice of whether you are going
to support other platforms besides Interbase. If you are only using
Interbase, then IBX is the way to go, IMO. (Or something equivalent like
IBO, etc.).

Woody

Re:Connect with Interbase controls

Thanks a lot Woody,

I am using Interbase exclusively. In this case, is TIBDataset a good or bad
choice
over TDatabase?
Unfortunately I am not familiar with terms like IBX, IMO or IBO.
What is IBX? Could you please explain?

Thanks a lot,
Doru Roman

> TIBDataset uses the Interbase API through the GDB32.DLL, not the BDE.
> TDatabase uses the BDE or ODBC, IIRC. Using TIBDataset limits you to using
> Interbase where TDatabase does not so it's a choice of whether you are
going
> to support other platforms besides Interbase. If you are only using
> Interbase, then IBX is the way to go, IMO. (Or something equivalent like
> IBO, etc.).

> Woody

Re:Connect with Interbase controls

TDatabase uses the BDE. TIBDatabase uses the InterBase API directly.
The best choice IMHO is the InterBase Express controls (TIBDatabase etc.).
The IBX controls use the IB API directly so they are smaller and faster.
There is nothing to deploy but your EXE, the IB client and the IB server.

Re:Connect with Interbase controls

> I am using Interbase exclusively. In this case, is TIBDataset a good or
bad
> choice
> over TDatabase?

A good one.

> Unfortunately I am not familiar with terms like IBX, IMO or IBO.

IBX - InterBase Express by Borland, a suite of native InterBase access
components for Delphi/BCB/Kylix.
IBO - InterBase Objects by Jason Wharton, a third party suite. Different
approach than IBX though.
IMO - "In my opinion".

If you are new to IB, I suggest you get the InterBase 6.0 Beta Documentation
Set (10.04mb) from
http://www.borland.com/techpubs/interbase/

Developers Guide is for IBX. Also read the "Introduction To InterBase
Express (IBX)" document at
http://www.ibphoenix.com/ibp_ibx.html

Also please check out my FAQ below. You'll find answers to common question
asked by new users of InterBase.

HTH,

-Jorge
-
IB/IBX F.A.Q.
http://ib.freeservers.com

Let your screen saver contribute to cancer research.
http://www.ud.com
A new way to help. Sponsored by Intel.

> I am using Interbase exclusively. In this case, is TIBDataset a good or
bad
> choice over TDatabase?

Good choice.

> Unfortunately I am not familiar with terms like IBX, IMO or IBO.
> What is IBX? Could you please explain?

IBX = IB Express components = TIBDatabase, TIBTransaction, etc.

For the record, the BDE does not use ODBC to connect to Interbase unless you
deliberately choose to do this. It uses Interbase SQL links. BDE support for
Interbase is reasonably good but using IBX is faster and thinner.

--
Wayne Niddery (Logic Fundamentals, Inc.)
RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks/delphibooks.html

Re:Connect with Interbase controls

Thank you everybody for your kind input.

Have a nice day.

Doru Roman wrote:

> I am using Interbase exclusively. In this case, is TIBDataset a good or bad
> choice over TDatabase?

        Good.  Much better than BDE.

> Unfortunately I am not familiar with terms like IBX, IMO or IBO.
> What is IBX? Could you please explain?

        IBX = IB controls in Delphi; post questions about IBX to
borland.public.delphi.database.interbaseexpress.  IBO =
http://www.ibobjects.com.  IMO = In My Opinion.

        -Craig