Sybase SQL Anywhere, SQL Links and Delphi 2.0

I'm evaluating economical choices for an in-house SQL server for about
5-10 users and Sybase's SQL Anywhere (formerly Watcom SQL) seems to be a
real good value. I'm currently using it through ODBC, but I wonder if
the SQL Links package (which comes with Delphi C/S) would support this
SQL server. The online product information at Borland doesn't
specifically mention it, though it does mention Sybase SQL server, which
is an altogether different product.  Does anyone know if SQL Links
supports this product and if so, will SQL links work with the Delphi 2.0
Developer release?

If anyone has an information, I'd really like to hear from you. If
anyone else might have already used SQL Anywhere with Delphi and would
care to share your experiences, I think they'd be welcome too!
--
Michael R. Johnston                      mi...@morse.net
Morse Telecommunication, Inc.            http://www.morse.net

Re:Sybase SQL Anywhere, SQL Links and Delphi 2.0

"Michael R. Johnston" <mjohn...@morse.net> writes:

>I'm evaluating economical choices for an in-house SQL server for about
>5-10 users and Sybase's SQL Anywhere (formerly Watcom SQL) seems to be a
>real good value. I'm currently using it through ODBC, but I wonder if
>the SQL Links package (which comes with Delphi C/S) would support this
>SQL server. The online product information at Borland doesn't
>specifically mention it, though it does mention Sybase SQL server, which
>is an altogether different product.  Does anyone know if SQL Links
>supports this product and if so, will SQL links work with the Delphi 2.0
>Developer release?
>If anyone has an information, I'd really like to hear from you. If
>anyone else might have already used SQL Anywhere with Delphi and would
>care to share your experiences, I think they'd be welcome too!

I am using Sybase SQL Anywhere with Delphi.  I used it when it was called
Watcom SQL, also.  I highly doubt that the SQL Links would work since it
is still more Watcom than it is Sybase.  The only mention that I have
seen in the Sybase SQL manuals of drivers are for the ODBC drivers.

ec...@subzero.winternet.com (e.coli) wrote:

>I am using Sybase SQL Anywhere with Delphi.  I used it when it was called
>Watcom SQL, also.  I highly doubt that the SQL Links would work since it
>is still more Watcom than it is Sybase.  The only mention that I have
>seen in the Sybase SQL manuals of drivers are for the ODBC drivers.

The SQL Anywhere server manuals indicate that it is possible to write
applications that will connect to Sybase or to SQL Anywhere via the
Sybase open client library. I don't know it the same is true for
DB-Library applications, or which library SQL Links uses.

This only applies to the server engine, not the local database version
(i.e. not to the one you can download for free).

Bear in mind that to go this route, your application would have to
make use of the subset of Transact SQL syntax that is supported by SQL
Anywhere, rather than the syntax supported by the ODBC driver.

If anyone has experience of actually doing any of this, I'd love to
hear about it.

regards,

David
David Whitmarsh

     Accession Systems Ltd/Sparkle Computer Co Ltd

     Client/Server development and consultancy:
          Unix, Sybase, C, Powerbuilder, Delphi