ftADT or ftArray help please

[Sorry if you've already seen this. I'm still having news server
problems. I can see a later post from me but not this one. I can't wait
until January when I can move ISPs. Bwah!]

Hi all,

Can anyone kindly point me in the direction of a sample or two on how to
implement ADTs or Arrays using D5 and IB5.5. The demos and help are
unpleasantly quiet on the subject, Google and Tamarack don't have very
much and there doesn't seem to be much else out there.

I can create the array at the DB end, not a problem. But what next? A
UDF to get it in and out of Delphi? Yes, I've read chapter 9 of the IB
Programmer's Guide. And how about ADTs? That would be the way to go for
what I want to do but how to define them and then get them into a DB and
back out into a grid of some sort? *Someone* must use the damn things
*somewhere*. IB can't just have included them to increase its bloatware
rating. But then they don't seem to have put a real lot about them in
the help.

Any pointers *very* gratefully received.

TIA

Ian Jennings
Microware Data Services Limited

This post is made entirely from recycled ones and noughts

Re:ftADT or ftArray help please

Ian Jennings wrote:

> Can anyone kindly point me in the direction of a sample or two on how to
> implement ADTs or Arrays using D5 and IB5.5. The demos and help are
> unpleasantly quiet on the subject, Google and Tamarack don't have very
> much and there doesn't seem to be much else out there.

First off: IB/5.5 is not as good as it should be ...   Borland has a free
upgrade (to IB/5.61, I think), you just pay shipping expenses (USD 10 ?).
This will improve stability a lot.

Second, arrays aren't well supported.  Neither SPs or triggers can do a lot
with them.
I know some people using Delphi+IBO+Interbase use arrays, but I don't think
it ever will be totally satisfying (because of lack of support in
SPs/Triggers).
I don't know about IBX, but if IBO (www.ibobjects.com) is an option for you,
you could ask in the IBO newsgroup (link from the IBO site).

Regards,
Aage J.

Aage Johansen wrote:

> First off: IB/5.5 is not as good as it should be ...   Borland has a free
> upgrade (to IB/5.61, I think), you just pay shipping expenses (USD 10 ?).
> This will improve stability a lot.

> Second, arrays aren't well supported.  Neither SPs or triggers can do a lot
> with them.
> I know some people using Delphi+IBO+Interbase use arrays, but I don't think
> it ever will be totally satisfying (because of lack of support in
> SPs/Triggers).
> I don't know about IBX, but if IBO (www.ibobjects.com) is an option for you,
> you could ask in the IBO newsgroup (link from the IBO site).

Hi Aage,

Thanks for the info. I was guessing as much when I couldn't find
*anything*, despite several hours searching the web and archives. I was
just hoping that someone, somewhere had managed to do *something* with
them. Seems not. If there was anything free going then I was interested
but I've been off sick for 12 months and haven't got the spare cash to
go buying anything at the moment.

I was going to have a fiddle around putting a UDP in a DLL but it isn't
worth it. It's only one table (a journal-type thing) and disk space is
cheap. :) I'll just have to have another trigger and a bit more traffic.

Thanks for the help and for confirming that I'm not really losing the
plot.

Regards

Ian Jennings wrote:

> Hi Aage,

> Thanks for the info. I was guessing as much when I couldn't find
> *anything*, despite several hours searching the web and archives. I was
> just hoping that someone, somewhere had managed to do *something* with
> them. Seems not. If there was anything free going then I was interested
> but I've been off sick for 12 months and haven't got the spare cash to
> go buying anything at the moment.

IBO may be free for non-commercial use - you could just send a message to the
author - Jason Wharton.
BTW, there are better NGs for Interbase (or Firebird, the OpenSource fork of IB).

--
Aage J.

> I was going to have a fiddle around putting a UDP in a DLL but it isn't
> worth it. It's only one table (a journal-type thing) and disk space is
> cheap. :) I'll just have to have another trigger and a bit more traffic.

> Thanks for the help and for confirming that I'm not really losing the
> plot.

Other Threads