UPS for Servers?

Hi all,

I will be working (hopefully) on a project which will involve
using IB on an NT server.

Now, the problem that they have is that they don't use UPS on the
server, and when asked why, the reason given was that if the server goes
down, they want it to go back up automatically - which it does if there
is a simple power cut, but not (apparently) if there is a power cut with
UPS, i.e. the reboot has to be done manually (the server is kept in a
locked office and they need to use it 24 x 7).

Can anyone recommend a UPS product which will reboot automagically when
power is reconnected (or is this a stupid question? I thought that they
would all do this, but I was told no - but h/ware is not my forte)?

Obviously I would prefer a UPS'ed server - forced writes off - yaaay!

TIA.

Paul...

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__dot__com

I would ask that those replying to this (or any other post on usenet)
please reply *_INLINE_*. It makes replies much easier to read and is
a small courtesy towards those who wish to profit from your insight
and wisdom.

Re:UPS for Servers?

Dan Palley offered this gem...

> Most UPS's include software that you install on the server that does a
> graceful shutdown if the power goes out.  Sounds like you simply want to
> disable the auto-shutdown feature which should be easy enough.

No, absolutely not.

Maybe I didn't explain myself too well.

What I want is a UPS system that will gracefully *_shutdown_* after
power is cut and gracefully and *_WITHOUT_* intervention *_reboot_*
after power is restored.

>  That way,
> the only time the server would actually reboot is after the UPS runs out of
> charge and the power is restored, which, assuming you buy a big enough UPS,
> would probably not happen too often unless you're prone to power outages
> that last hours.

I don't actually think that power outages are a *_major_* problem here -
the premises is near a major hospital in Dublin's city centre - what I
would be more worried about is the delapidated state of the building's
own electrics or a minor local cut due to road digging outside the door.

Now, I asked them *_why_* they didn't have UPS on the server. They said
it was because they wanted the thing to start up again automatically
after power is restored, since it is kept in a locked office and is used
24 X 7, and that as far as they could determine, no UPS system could do
this, they just leave it on to the vagaries of the power supply, just in
case a blowout happens on Friday evening at 19:00 and power is restored
at 20:00 but nobody will be able to reboot until 08:00 on Monday...

I was very surprised that no UPS system allows for automatic shutdown on
a power outage and a graceful reboot on power restore - without human
interbvention.

Does such a thing exist, or am I wasting my time? I would have thought
that what I am asking for is almost trivial functionality?

Paul...

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__dot__com

I would ask that those replying to this (or any other post on usenet)
please reply *_INLINE_*. It makes replies much easier to read and is
a small courtesy towards those who wish to profit from your insight
and wisdom.

Re:UPS for Servers?

>Does such a thing exist, or am I wasting my time? I would have thought
>that what I am asking for is almost trivial functionality?

It does exists and we're using it at our premises. Look for APC or BEST ups.

Brian

Re:UPS for Servers?

> What I want is a UPS system that will gracefully *_shutdown_* after
> power is cut and gracefully and *_WITHOUT_* intervention *_reboot_*
> after power is restored.

APC 's SmartUps in conjunction with PowerChute software (included)
has this functionality. It is also important that if you have a ATX
power supply that the BIOS of the mainboard supports it.

Regards,
Frank.

Re:UPS for Servers?

Frank Gruber offered this gem...

> > What I want is a UPS system that will gracefully *_shutdown_* after
> > power is cut and gracefully and *_WITHOUT_* intervention *_reboot_*
> > after power is restored.
> APC 's SmartUps in conjunction with PowerChute software (included)
> has this functionality. It is also important that if you have a ATX
> power supply that the BIOS of the mainboard supports it.

Thanks for that. However, I don't know what an "ATX power supply" is.
Also, how can I check if the board supports this? IIRC, it's a fairly
standard bottom end IBM server.

Thanks for your input.

Paul...

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__dot__com

I would ask that those replying to this (or any other post on usenet)
please reply *_INLINE_*. It makes replies much easier to read and is
a small courtesy towards those who wish to profit from your insight
and wisdom.

Re:UPS for Servers?

> Thanks for that. However, I don't know what an "ATX power supply" is.

ATX is the form factor. Power supply and mainboard have to match it
to work together. The issue with ATX important here is that the power
switch is not a real switch which breaks the circuits. So if the AC power
is restored it depends on the mainboard/bios how it reacts.

> Also, how can I check if the board supports this? IIRC, it's a fairly
> standard bottom end IBM server.

Take a look at the bios/power management settings if you could tweak
anything. Does the computer powers off if you shut it down ?
Try what happens if you then pull the plug and plug it in again.
The computer then has to power on again and boot.

Regards,
Frank.

Re:UPS for Servers?

Your server is not ATX.
ATX PC's don't restart after power-failures unless you push the button.

"Paulie" <p...@not.a.chance.ie> wrote in message

> Frank Gruber offered this gem...

> > > What I want is a UPS system that will gracefully *_shutdown_* after
> > > power is cut and gracefully and *_WITHOUT_* intervention *_reboot_*
> > > after power is restored.

> > APC 's SmartUps in conjunction with PowerChute software (included)
> > has this functionality. It is also important that if you have a ATX
> > power supply that the BIOS of the mainboard supports it.

> Thanks for that. However, I don't know what an "ATX power supply" is.
> Also, how can I check if the board supports this? IIRC, it's a fairly
> standard bottom end IBM server.

> Thanks for your input.

> Paul...

> > Frank.

> --

> plinehan__AT__yahoo__dot__com

> I would ask that those replying to this (or any other post on usenet)
> please reply *_INLINE_*. It makes replies much easier to read and is
> a small courtesy towards those who wish to profit from your insight
> and wisdom.

Re:UPS for Servers?

> Your server is not ATX.
> ATX PC's don't restart after power-failures unless you push the button.

This is wrong.
On newer ASUS mainboards with AWARD BIOS you could configure
what should happen after AC power was loast and restored.

We have some servers running in the desired setup and they work without
any problem.

Regards,
Frank

Re:UPS for Servers?

In article <3e1ee...@newsgroups.borland.com>, HVFDMIPUM...@spammotel.com
says...
> Take a look at the bios/power management settings if you could tweak
> anything.

        I just configured a Dell Dimension 8250, which does indeed seem to
have a setting for this.

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com

Other Threads