Request for Sample of Design Patterns

Hi
I am interesting on Design Patterns
Where can I find some samples for learning it?
Thank You.

Re:Request for Sample of Design Patterns

"MSJ" <Mohamma...@SystemGroup.Net> a crit dans le message news:
3e319...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> I am interesting on Design Patterns
> Where can I find some samples for learning it?

Try my website, there are some articles there.

www.carterconsulting.org.uk

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter
Consultant Software Engineer

Re:Request for Sample of Design Patterns

> I am interesting on Design Patterns
> Where can I find some samples for learning it?

Whenever I see/hear people asking for code for patterns it worries me
slightly that they are missing the point. The whole thing about patterns
is that they are abstract. They are a general description of the sort of
approach you might use in a given situation, along with some pros and
cons, and so on. Any code you write is **not** the pattern, it is an
**implementation** of the pattern (sort of like the difference between a
class and an object). A pattern is most definitely **not** a code
template, where you just fill in the gaps.

There are many ways to implement any given pattern. It might be a case
of using a different approach (eg I'll tend to use classes where Joanna
will use interfaces), or it might be a case of leaving bits out or
adding bits to adapt the pattern to your situation. Normally you do not
use them in isolation either.

So code is fine so far as it goes, but that actually is not that far.
The important things to understand about a pattern are the solution it
encapsulates, and when it is appropriate to use it.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Jim Cooper      jcoo...@tabdee.ltd.uk
Tabdee Ltd      http://www.tabdee.ltd.uk

TurboSync - Connecting Delphi with your Palm

"MSJ" wrote:
> I am interesting on Design Patterns
> Where can I find some samples for learning it?

http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_patterns.html

Cheers,
Jarle

Jim Cooper wrote:
> So code is fine so far as it goes, but that actually is not that far.
> The important things to understand about a pattern are the solution it
> encapsulates, and when it is appropriate to use it.

I mostly agree with your statement.

What I want to add is, I find source code is the best explanation.
Sometimes no matter how detail is the concept, is is still too abstract.

I finally understood MVC after I dug some code in SmallTalk and Java.

For MSJ, go to google.com, find with keywords : design patterns delphi.
  You will find a lot of links there.

Wien.

Re:Request for Sample of Design Patterns

> What I want to add is, I find source code is the best explanation.

I'm too lazy to read reams of someone else's code :-)

> Sometimes no matter how detail is the concept, is is still too abstract.

It's supposed to be abstract :-)

Jim Cooper wrote:
>>What I want to add is, I find source code is the best explanation.

> I'm too lazy to read reams of someone else's code :-)

Ugh....  your argument is too strong.  Nothing can be said against
laziness.  :)

Wien.

Re:Request for Sample of Design Patterns

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:04:38 -0800, Erwien Saputra

<erw...@nospam.codeline.dot.net> wrote:
>Jim Cooper wrote:
>> So code is fine so far as it goes, but that actually is not that far.
>> The important things to understand about a pattern are the solution it
>> encapsulates, and when it is appropriate to use it.

>I mostly agree with your statement.

As do I.

>What I want to add is, I find source code is the best explanation.
>Sometimes no matter how detail is the concept, is is still too abstract.

Erwien, it's not _abstract_; it's _ambiguous_  and worse. If English was
a programming language, _hello world_ would not work.

>I finally understood MVC after I dug some code in SmallTalk and Java.

Same here. I probably dug up the same stuff as you. You are right. The
only way to interpret most articles is in conjunction with the source,
provided it is _live code_.
--
Bill Boulton
using D3 Std on a 98SE box

"Bill Boulton" <billboulton@goldlink-dot-aunz-dot-com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:04:38 -0800, Erwien Saputra
> <erw...@nospam.codeline.dot.net> wrote:

> >Jim Cooper wrote:
> >> So code is fine so far as it goes, but that actually is not that far.
> >> The important things to understand about a pattern are the solution it
> >> encapsulates, and when it is appropriate to use it.

> >I mostly agree with your statement.

> As do I.

> >What I want to add is, I find source code is the best explanation.
> >Sometimes no matter how detail is the concept, is is still too abstract.

> Erwien, it's not _abstract_; it's _ambiguous_  and worse. If English was
> a programming language, _hello world_ would not work.

As I heard half-way through a seminar...

"You people can't even agree on the meaning of the word "sex", yet you
believe you really understand what someone else is saying?!"

John

Re:Request for Sample of Design Patterns

In article <3e35c8fa.5201...@forums.borland.com>, Bill Boulton says...

> If English was
> a programming language, _hello world_ would not work.

That's a good one <g>

Phil

Re:Request for Sample of Design Patterns

> I am interesting on Design Patterns
> Where can I find some samples for learning it?

I just downloaded the demo version of ModelMaker & have started working
through the tutorial.  I notice with interest that it has a Patterns tab
with subtabs of Behavioral, Structural, Wizards & Templates.  It looks like
MM might be a good tool to use to learn patterns.

http://www.modelmaker.demon.nl/index.htm

   -- Mark

Re:Request for Sample of Design Patterns

And here's Andy Bulka's work in the
Australia Delphi UG - at http://www.atug.com/andypatterns/
to try out with ModelMaker

alf

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:15:17 -0500, "John Elrick" <jelr...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>As I heard half-way through a seminar...

>"You people can't even agree on the meaning of the word "sex", yet you
>believe you really understand what someone else is saying?!"

I know the feeling. As an instructor, I soon learned it was a waste of
time to ask "Does anyone not understand?". Nobody ever responds.

It seems it is more important to look _kewl_ then actually learn
something. After all, you only have to _talk the talk_ to be accepted.
--
Bill Boulton
using D3 Std on a 98SE box

Other Threads