Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource Release or FireBird in the real world , is
secure? , is stable?  in a mission critical like platforms .

thanks

Javier Donoso
CEO  sistemas21.com
http://www.sistemas21.com

Re:Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

I do. It's very stable and has very few problems that I've
seen. Most of these are caused by users not following proper
procedures or administrators now following good maintenance
practices, but who doesn't have problems like that? <g>

Woody

.

> thanks

> Javier Donoso
> CEO  sistemas21.com
> http://www.sistemas21.com

Re:Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

as long as you

-dont have plans to use interbase events,
-dont forget to do real commits and not only commitretainings.

every stays working just fine..

Lucas Vos

> Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource Release or FireBird in the real world ,
is
> secure? , is stable?  in a mission critical like platforms .

> thanks

> Javier Donoso
> CEO  sistemas21.com
> http://www.sistemas21.com

Re:Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

I have several databases on it. In a multi-user environment.

Jason

In article <3b3f568d_2@dnews>, j...@sistemas21.com wrote...

> Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource Release or FireBird in the real world , is
> secure? , is stable?  in a mission critical like platforms .

Been using Firebird in a number of internal and external 'real world'
projects for a while now with no problems.  Can't speak for Interbase,
as until the open source effort is started, we are not taking the risk,
but I imagine there are no problems with that either.

Cheers

Phil

Re:Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

In article <3b3f951a_1@dnews>, v...@lucrasoft.nl wrote...

> -dont have plans to use interbase events,

I use events quite a lot, what problems do you have?

> -dont forget to do real commits and not only commitretainings.

That is the same 'issue' for all versions of IB/FB, not just the open
source ones.

Cheers

Phil

Re:Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

I have had a strange problem!

sometimes I am getting "conection lost" after executing bad UDFs!!!

Why my database is dropped?  Where is both the safety and stability of
Interbase? What I am doing wrong?

Javier Donoso <j...@sistemas21.com> escreveu nas notcias de
mensagem:3b3f568d_2@dnews...

In article <3b406360_2@dnews>, adriano.urb...@terra.com.br wrote...

> sometimes I am getting "conection lost" after executing bad UDFs!!!

> Why my database is dropped?  Where is both the safety and stability of
> Interbase? What I am doing wrong?

UDFs are essentially DLL's, so when using them they are really part of
the server process, so when they 'crash' so does the server (just like a
bad DLL can crash your app).

The only thing you are doing wrong is using UDF's that have problems <g>

Cheers

Phil

Re:Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

Probably UDF's that aren't thread safe!

Best Regards
Thomas Steinmaurer
IB LogManager - The Logging Tool for Interbase/Firebird
http://www.iblogmanager.com

"Phil Shrimpton" <p...@nospam.shrimpton.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> In article <3b406360_2@dnews>, adriano.urb...@terra.com.br wrote...

> Hi,

> > sometimes I am getting "conection lost" after executing bad UDFs!!!

> > Why my database is dropped?  Where is both the safety and stability of
> > Interbase? What I am doing wrong?

> UDFs are essentially DLL's, so when using them they are really part of
> the server process, so when they 'crash' so does the server (just like a
> bad DLL can crash your app).

> The only thing you are doing wrong is using UDF's that have problems <g>

> Cheers

> Phil

Re:Some body use IB 6.01 Opensource int the real world

It was reporting constantly problems with events. The last posting I read
was about network route traverse.

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

"Phil Shrimpton" <p...@nospam.shrimpton.co.uk> escribi en el mensaje

> In article <3b3f951a_1@dnews>, v...@lucrasoft.nl wrote...

> Hi,

> > -dont have plans to use interbase events,

> I use events quite a lot, what problems do you have?

> > -dont forget to do real commits and not only commitretainings.

> That is the same 'issue' for all versions of IB/FB, not just the open
> source ones.

> Cheers

> Phil

Other Threads