Newbie question:What're the meanings?

HI there,

Oh well, I'm newbie in Delphi and have some words which I don't know its
meaning exactly.  I think there're a lot of people wanna know these also.
Ok, if there's someone can tell me these is highly appreciated. :)

The question is what's the meanings of OCX, VCL, ActiveX, GPF?

Thank you,
Teeraphong Mahatham
u3819...@atlantis.chula.edu

Re:Newbie question:What're the meanings?

Teeraphong Mahatham wrote:

> The question is what's the meanings of OCX, VCL, ActiveX, GPF?

OCX     - Ole Custom controls. The 32 bit 'equivalent' of VBX.
VCL     - Visual Component Library, Delphi's class lib.
ActiveX - Microsoft's Internet things. MS IE, ActiveX controls
          (lightweight OCX), IIS, VBScript, and so on.
GPF     - General Protection Fault. Fault 13 (0xD) in the processor.
          Generated when none of the other faults (0 - 15) are
          applicable. Usually means accessing non-owned memory.

M.

--
Martin Larsson, author of several unknown utilities for DOS and Windows.
mailto:martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no

Re:Newbie question:What're the meanings?

Well, tongue firmly in cheek, here's my translation:

OCX & MicroSoft marketing = ActiveX,

GPF used to be what MicroSoft called UAE's in Windows 3.0,
(Unrecoverable Application Error)
and which they updated and improved (for Windows 3.1) to GPF.
(General Protection Fault)
The new version, available only on Windows 95/NT is AV (Access
Violation.)

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Oh, and Borland's VCL (Visual Component Library), is
part of Delphi, which has Exception handling, which
makes these errors more recoverable than most,
even in 16-bit windows.

<g?>

- Ken K.

Teeraphong Mahatham wrote:

> HI there,

> Oh well, I'm newbie in Delphi and have some words which I don't know its
> meaning exactly.  I think there're a lot of people wanna know these also.
> Ok, if there's someone can tell me these is highly appreciated. :)

> The question is what's the meanings of OCX, VCL, ActiveX, GPF?

> Thank you,
> Teeraphong Mahatham
> u3819...@atlantis.chula.edu

OCX = win95/NT sort of VBX
VCL = Visual Component Library - neat Delphi components
ActiveX = OCX? - ms lets be sure we keep things confusing.
GPF = windows general protection fault - you program just screwed up.

Look at microsoft.com for lengthly explanation of OCX and ActiveX

Good Luck,
Jim
--
CAPMan HF Propagation Prediction & System Analysis Software
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/KU5S

Teeraphong Mahatham wrote:

> HI there,

> Oh well, I'm newbie in Delphi and have some words which I don't know its
> meaning exactly.  I think there're a lot of people wanna know these also.
> Ok, if there's someone can tell me these is highly appreciated. :)

> The question is what's the meanings of OCX, VCL, ActiveX, GPF?

> Thank you,
> Teeraphong Mahatham
> u3819...@atlantis.chula.edu

OCX= Ole Control eXtention (I think)
VCL=Visual Control Library
Active X = Rename OLE object (Really an OCX or 32bit VBX for the
Internet)
GPF = Genral Protection Fault
OLE = Object Linking Embeding
VBX = Visual Basic eXtension

Ps Don't flame me if I am wrong (bleddy actermins)

Other Threads