Delphi and ASP.NET?

Will Delphi support programming of ASP.NET applications? If not, will
there be some similar features in Delphi?

ASP.NET sounds interesting to me. It is said that ASP.NET will make
web programming as easy as windows programming with Delphi or Visual
Basic. I made some small web applications using Java servlets and
constructing all that HTML output "by hand" is really inconvenient.

Re:Delphi and ASP.NET?

Unfortunately Microsoft has placed restrictions on what programs can produce
.NET code, basically making it impossible for Delphi to output it.
Fortunately for at least this version (no determination on future versions)
.NET supports COM communication with the runtime, so your .NET can call
Delphi DLLs and vice versa.

"Gerhard Hofmann" <gerhard.hofm...@planat.de> wrote in message

> Will Delphi support programming of ASP.NET applications? If not, will
> there be some similar features in Delphi?

> ASP.NET sounds interesting to me. It is said that ASP.NET will make
> web programming as easy as windows programming with Delphi or Visual
> Basic. I made some small web applications using Java servlets and
> constructing all that HTML output "by hand" is really inconvenient.

Re:Delphi and ASP.NET?

In article <3b375862.8376...@news.plusline.de>, gerhard.hofm...@planat.de
says...

> Will Delphi support programming of ASP.NET applications? If not, will
> there be some similar features in Delphi?

Looks unlikely. But yes, at Tech*Ed last week Microsoft was hammering on
the idea that "XML Web Services" are no more difficult to write than
Windows programs. With Visual Studio.NET beta 2, in C# or VB, you
basically start a Web Service project, define the web methods you'll
export, and compile. Boom! You've got a web service running on your
localhost for development and debugging. Then from within the IDE you can
upload it to a hosting service (there's a referral to a free one called
Brinkster, e.g.) and run it across the Internet. It's almost alarming.

OF course these web services are basically stateless - ask a question
(e.g. price and availability for Lincoln Town Car rental in Las Vegas on
July 4), and get back your answer. Then the interaction is over. ON the
other hand, it's easy enough to design the service so it stores state
information in a database and hands back a re-visit ID on the first
interaction.

ANYWAY, this particular initiative was pushed by Microsoft so vigorously,
Tech*Ed attendees were practically {*word*89} on it...

--
Neil J. Rubenking
Contributing Technical Editor

Re:Delphi and ASP.NET?

In article <3b375862.8376...@news.plusline.de>, Gerhard Hofmann wrote:
> Will Delphi support programming of ASP.NET applications? If not, will
> there be some similar features in Delphi?

No, but there is a compiler that supports both Object Pascal and .NET.

Search for +TMT +Pascal on an average searchengine.

> ASP.NET sounds interesting to me. It is said that ASP.NET will make
> web programming as easy as windows programming with Delphi or Visual
> Basic.

Even if so, only for intranet applications. I doubt "easy" generated
applications will survive the DoS attacks, and the even elevated ordinary
traffic from the Internet.

Other Threads