'Circular datalinks are not allowed' error / 'Index is readonly' error

Hi there

As a newbie in database programming i've run into 2 problems.

1) I keep getting 'circular datalinks are not allowed'  error.
What 's  the possible origin(s) of that error?

2)When i'm using a certain table with a secondary index i got the second
error 'index is readonly' .
What 's  the possible origin(s) of that error?

What do i have to do or check to resolve the 2 problems mentioned above.

Thanx by Advance

Mo

Mo0...@dma.be

Re:'Circular datalinks are not allowed' error / 'Index is readonly' error

>1) I keep getting 'circular datalinks are not allowed'  error.
>What 's  the possible origin(s) of that error?

Setting the master source of TableA to tableB and then trying to set the master
source of TableB to TableA would be a circular datalink.   Of course there can
be more than one table in the circle.  A similar problem can occure when setting
referential integrity links in the Database desktop.

>2)When i'm using a certain table with a secondary index i got the second
>error 'index is readonly' .
>What 's  the possible origin(s) of that error?

If an index isn't maintained it is readonly.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:'Circular datalinks are not allowed' error / 'Index is readonly' error

Hi Brian

When I read your message, I rechecked my tables in the datamodule.
I found the solution for my first problem:
I have 1 mastertable and 2 childtables and  also several supporting tables
with only lookup values in them.
In a support table, I had accidently filled in the MasterSource property
with the mastertable value without the a value for the MasterFields.
I  cleared the MasterSource property , restarted my program and the error
was gone.
So the 'Circular datalinks are not allowed'  error is not correct in my
situation.

Thanks for the Quick Reply

 Mo

Brian Bushay TeamB wrote in message

<35686648.21639...@forums.borland.com>...

>>1) I keep getting 'circular datalinks are not allowed'  error.
>>What 's  the possible origin(s) of that error?
>Setting the master source of TableA to tableB and then trying to set the
master
>source of TableB to TableA would be a circular datalink.   Of course there
can
>be more than one table in the circle.  A similar problem can occure when
setting
>referential integrity links in the Database desktop.

>>2)When i'm using a certain table with a secondary index i got the second
>>error 'index is readonly' .
>>What 's  the possible origin(s) of that error?

>If an index isn't maintained it is readonly.

>--
>Brian Bushay (TeamB)
>Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:'Circular datalinks are not allowed' error / 'Index is readonly' error

>In a support table, I had accidently filled in the MasterSource property
>with the mastertable value without the a value for the MasterFields.
>I  cleared the MasterSource property , restarted my program and the error
>was gone.
>So the 'Circular datalinks are not allowed'  error is not correct in my
>situation.

What you describe is a circular data link so why wasn't the message correct?

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Other Threads