Service application best solution?

I need to convert a database every night after 3 o'clock. This should be
done on a  Windows NT server. I thought of writing a service application
with a timer to do the job.
Is this the best solution?
The conversion is a lengthy operation. How can I prevent the server from
being too busy with the conversion?

Greetings,
Ronald van der Pas

Re:Service application best solution?

"Ronald van der Pas" <rvd...@wanadoo.nl> skrev i melding

> I need to convert a database every night after 3 o'clock. This should be
> done on a  Windows NT server. I thought of writing a service application
> with a timer to do the job.
> Is this the best solution?
> The conversion is a lengthy operation. How can I prevent the server from
> being too busy with the conversion?

I don't know anything about Service Applications, but I know that the
database engine running on the server is one interesting factor: I'm running
Oracle 8i and Interbase / Firebird on the same server, and when IB is
running, it's taking 99% of CPU time, while the Oracle server effectively
stops. Nothing to do about IB's behaviour here, AFAIK.

You could effectively reduce the priority of your code by setting priority
to below normal, but it wouldn't stop IB from grabbing all CPU resources
while running a query. For example.

--
Bj?rge S?ther
bjorge@hahaha_itte.no

Re:Service application best solution?

I doubt it...  why would not the "scheduled tasks" control panel or the
AT-command do the job just as well?

>Ronald van der Pas wrote:

> I need to convert a database every night after 3 o'clock. This should be
> done on a  Windows NT server. I thought of writing a service application
> with a timer to do the job.
> Is this the best solution?
> The conversion is a lengthy operation. How can I prevent the server from
> being too busy with the conversion?

> Greetings,
> Ronald van der Pas

> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!

Re:Service application best solution?

If understood that if no user is logged on the "scheduled tasks" will not be
executed.

"Sundial Services" <info_...@sundialservices.com> schreef in bericht
| I doubt it...  why would not the "scheduled tasks" control panel or the
| AT-command do the job just as well?
|

| >Ronald van der Pas wrote:
| >
| > I need to convert a database every night after 3 o'clock. This should be
| > done on a  Windows NT server. I thought of writing a service application
| > with a timer to do the job.
| > Is this the best solution?
| > The conversion is a lengthy operation. How can I prevent the server from
| > being too busy with the conversion?
| >
| > Greetings,
| > Ronald van der Pas

| Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
| mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)
| > Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
| > ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!
| > http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Other Threads